Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Announcements
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 7th January 2013, 02:11 PM

Default BX's Build diary

Well, time to make a start I guess.
House move done and dusted, garage very nearly sorted, welding course completed.

No chassis kit as of yet, but I hope to have that rectified in the next couple of months, in the mean time I decided to finally make a start on the engine thats been sat in the corner of the garage for the last year.

Apologies in advance for photo quality, they were taken on my mobile.

The lump that I'm going to be using is a Vauxhall X20XEV (2.0 16v) which was an evolution of the now aging C20XE (red top). Although less powerful than the C20, mainly due to all the emmissions stuff, it actually produces more torque in a more usable part of the rev range.

As fitted in my old show car shortly before being stripped.

At one point, this particular engine was producing 167bhp with a few bells and whistles fitted, however it has been sat for nearly 2 years so I doubt it is producing anywhere near even the factory standard figure (134bhp), so a full rebuild is on the cards. It may even receive a few upgrades in the process, cash flow allowing.

Received an engine stand from my dearly beloved as a christmas prezzie, which helps tremendously if you have a bad back like me, so at the weekend I removed the clutch and flywheel, hoisted the lump into the air and bolted it to the stand.

As you can see, it is absolutely filthy and covered in oily sludge from a sump gasket leak it developed shortly before removal from the car.