Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > General discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 2nd August 2014, 08:34 PM

Default More from Enoch

It's been a roller coaster of emotions these last 2 days but I have now got somewhere. I had cut out the entire trans tunnel so I could fit my super cheap seats that I acquired last weekend. Replacing the base of the floor was easy, trying to build the rest of the tunnel was not so easy. I was very tight on space, there was only a few mil between the seats and the tunnel, even less room between the seats and side rails. It's very difficult to measure accurately because of the irregular shapes. The Transmission is also a very awkward shape with bits sticking out all over the place. The first tunnel I built was useless. There was not enough leg room, the seats could not be adjusted, the handbrake was too high, I just didn't think about it long enough before cutting metal and glueing it together. That all had to come out again and what I have now actually works.

The diff on the Jag is offset quite a way to the driver's side, which made life interesting. I could not have an angled tunnel as I did not have enough room but needed enough room at the rear end for the diff flange and prop UJ, this is what I ended up with:

There is just enough room to put the seat in it's rear most position, the tunnel is low enough so that the seat back can be adjusted without fouling on the tunnel.
The gear change is in, as is the handbrake.
I have decided to go with servo brakes, it's a heavy beast and I think a non servo solution would require a very long brake pedal to give any sort of decent braking effort. I have spent most of the afternoon trying to get it all to fit, I have now worked it out but am too tired to do any more today. I have cut out a 3mm panel that used to hold the brake master cylinder, I am pleased to report that my welding did not want to let go and that it took me over an hour to cut it out with an angry grinder and make good the surrounding metal.
It is starting to look quite car like now, I will take a better photo when I have the end door of the garage open and I can get a better angle.