Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > SVA/Legal
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 4th December 2008, 12:13 PM

Question Getting the car on the road - Guidance

The plan is to get the car on the road by the end of January 2009 but this part of the process seems to be more daunting than the actual build! Has anyone got available a bullet point list of the process from allocating a chassis number all the way to sticking on registration plates?

I aim to use the registration of the donor car and have all the build receipts, pictures, V5 doc. The sierra has been used for the engine, all running gear and electrics with all of the build done to the Haynes spec (btw excellent manual Chris, i've had no previous experience with welding or fabrication and its been a joy to follow to get it to this stage). getting to this stage from starting end of May.

I've put the car together with the SVA requirements in mind and don't think it will be a great problem passing with maybe only minor faults. Bodywork is about to go on and i'm in the process of setting up the suspension and wheel alignments and covering all sharp objects / protrusions.

The donor is currently SORNed, does it need to be declared back on road before going much further?

Thanks in Advance.....Andy

Last edited by spud69 : 4th December 2008 at 08:45 PM.
Old 4th December 2008, 04:05 PM

Keep donor sorn'ed else you'll need road tax or a fine - lol

You cannot keep the donors registration but you should get an age related plate
Old 14th December 2008, 09:01 PM
fabbyglass

Q reg is better or at least it used to be as MOT regs put car as pre 1975 so no daft emissions unless I dreamt it?
Old 27th December 2008, 03:36 AM

I put together 2 clip folders one for VOSA/SVA and one for DVLA. The ones with the plastic slip in sleeves A4.
DVLA folder had receipts for all parts, photos, V5, original donor VIN plates, Built up inspection forms and registration forms, Kit receipts, a receipt for the donor ( bought from a scrapyard), receipts and letters from the original owner of the kit (bought un-started but complete), proof of proper disposal of the donor car remains and any documents or letters that proved the provenance of the car.
DVLA are more sticklers for the detail but this approach helped them to help me.
They commented that all the documentation they needed was there, in order and easily viewed making their job easier and quicker for me.
The worst cases they get are just a box of receipts in no particular order, this will take a lot longer to collate and as they were presented with little care they (DVLA) are in no rush to do the work, therfore you could wait a few weeks before getting on the road.
A friend got his on the road the same day as SVA pass, mine took 2 1/2 days, most take a week.

Preparation Prevents Pi55 Poor Etc.
Old 27th December 2008, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabbyglass View Post
Q reg is better or at least it used to be as MOT regs put car as pre 1975 so no daft emissions unless I dreamt it?
As I am going down the no donor route I will end up with a Q plate anyway, but does that mean I could put a later Zetec engine in and avoid the later emision regs

It does not matter how slowly you go so long as you do not stop.
Confucius Chinese philosopher & reformer (551 BC - 479 BC)