Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > General discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 23rd November 2012, 01:46 PM
twinturbo's Avatar
twinturbo twinturbo is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Carlisle
Posts: 4,341
Default Well it's not just us!

I have on here just removed a spam about somehting but using the brand "North Face"


Just poped on to a board for the software I am using for building a Firewall.

It's a forum dedicated to Intrusion Detection and Intrusion Prevention..


Wa-da-ya Know....

Spam
__________________
You only get a woosh with a dump valve

Build Thread


Man Cave Mantiques



Cecil Street Auto Repairs Garage Carlisle




Build Cost 4181.65 - Last - Wheel Cylinders
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 23rd November 2012, 01:49 PM
spud69's Avatar
spud69 spud69 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Hartlepool
Posts: 1,678
Default

It may just be me that's daft
__________________
Haynes Roadster / Saturn GRP Bodywork. Now available direct through http://www.gillhamonline.co.uk/ or contact me direct on andrew.hugill@ntlworld.com

Regards..........AndyH
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 23rd November 2012, 04:45 PM
robo robo is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: scabs
Posts: 1,722
Default

[ It may just be me that's daft :confused[/quote]

We must both be. You might be my long lost twin brother

bob
__________________
When The Results Disagree With The Theory: Believe The Results And Invent A New Theory
If I had two brains I,d still be a halfwit

The cave http://s1116.photobucket.com/user/my...deshow/mancave

The build http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=12669
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 23rd November 2012, 07:33 PM
Davey's Avatar
Davey Davey is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Telford
Posts: 1,040
Default

No its not just in here, PPC magazine's forum has also been repeatedly hit this week. I just don't understand why Haynes along with others allow new users to just sign up and post, its really easy to set it up for moderator control on new members.

D.
__________________
visit my website at www.cossie.davenewell.co.uk
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 23rd November 2012, 08:34 PM
twinturbo's Avatar
twinturbo twinturbo is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Carlisle
Posts: 4,341
Default

As I understand, basically there's one guy looking after it who's job role does not really include looking after it and he's busy doing what he's supposed to be doing.

the version of vBulletin probably pre-dates most forms of prevention that are common in modern forum software.

But upgrading is a potentially time consuming procedure that may fail leaveing the board down and the admin either having to spend more time he has not got or shut the board down completely.

And he's on holiday.

TT
__________________
You only get a woosh with a dump valve

Build Thread


Man Cave Mantiques



Cecil Street Auto Repairs Garage Carlisle




Build Cost 4181.65 - Last - Wheel Cylinders
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 23rd November 2012, 08:35 PM
twinturbo's Avatar
twinturbo twinturbo is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Carlisle
Posts: 4,341
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spud69 View Post
It may just be me that's daft
I was on a forum specifically for a system to prevent Hacking/Computer misuse etc..

They had been spammed...

TT
__________________
You only get a woosh with a dump valve

Build Thread


Man Cave Mantiques



Cecil Street Auto Repairs Garage Carlisle




Build Cost 4181.65 - Last - Wheel Cylinders
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 23rd November 2012, 08:39 PM
spud69's Avatar
spud69 spud69 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Hartlepool
Posts: 1,678
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinturbo View Post
I was on a forum specifically for a system to prevent Hacking/Computer misuse etc..

They had been spammed...

TT
I see now.......
__________________
Haynes Roadster / Saturn GRP Bodywork. Now available direct through http://www.gillhamonline.co.uk/ or contact me direct on andrew.hugill@ntlworld.com

Regards..........AndyH
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 23rd November 2012, 11:11 PM
The V8 Files's Avatar
The V8 Files The V8 Files is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Biggleswade, Bedfordshire
Posts: 345
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinturbo View Post
As I understand, basically there's one guy looking after it who's job role does not really include looking after it and he's busy doing what he's supposed to be doing.

the version of vBulletin probably pre-dates most forms of prevention that are common in modern forum software.

But upgrading is a potentially time consuming procedure that may fail leaveing the board down and the admin either having to spend more time he has not got or shut the board down completely.

And he's on holiday.

TT
Ok I'm going to state my opinion but am also prepared for the backlash:

Before I say it, my hat is off to Ash and TT for fighting the fire as best they can given all the resources that are available to them.

Haynes is a fairly large and corporate business, if I'm correct then the book is still a current issue and the forum is there to support it and maintained by Haynes.

The current spam issues are basically a result of poor maintenance and bad management, I would suggest Haynes have a duty of care to provide a forum which is safe, up to date and has a full hierarchy of Admins, Super Mods and Mods available at all reasonable times to deal with issues such as this. I don't believe they have done this.

Sorry if this sounds negative but Haynes is a corporate company and I think they have dropped a B******* here

Edit : Just re-read my post and it sound like a real rant! I didn't mean it to sound so harsh but generally the sentiments are there if that makes sense.

Last edited by The V8 Files : 23rd November 2012 at 11:24 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 23rd November 2012, 11:33 PM
vmax1974's Avatar
vmax1974 vmax1974 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Teesside
Posts: 1,141
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_of_Seven View Post
Ok I'm going to state my opinion but am also prepared for the backlash:

Before I say it, my hat is off to Ash and TT for fighting the fire as best they can given all the resources that are available to them.

Haynes is a fairly large and corporate business, if I'm correct then the book is still a current issue and the forum is there to support it and maintained by Haynes.

The current spam issues are basically a result of poor maintenance and bad management, I would suggest Haynes have a duty of care to provide a forum which is safe, up to date and has a full hierarchy of Admins, Super Mods and Mods available at all reasonable times to deal with issues such as this. I don't believe they have done this.

Sorry if this sounds negative but Haynes is a corporate company and I think they have dropped a B******* here
I have to disagree here

Haynes only get involved when they need too they put the forum up to support builders using the book the forum really belongs to the builders after all if we never bought the book we would not be here

I dont think the book sales would justify having someone to work on the forum full time and the admin guy did do what he could before his holiday and we all deserve holiday at times he upgraded mods powers so ash can now ban the spam profiles

I have every faith that the spam will be taken care of in a week or 2 but in my opinion I would just saw dont worry about it ash and twinturbo are doing a great job keeping on top of things

Just my thoughts
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 23rd November 2012, 11:34 PM
twinturbo's Avatar
twinturbo twinturbo is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Carlisle
Posts: 4,341
Default

The book volume sales is probably very low .

the forum, a good will gesture to the cause..

the dont have or need to support it.

community has to be strong or plug could just be pulled as that is the easy opt.

TT
__________________
You only get a woosh with a dump valve

Build Thread


Man Cave Mantiques



Cecil Street Auto Repairs Garage Carlisle




Build Cost 4181.65 - Last - Wheel Cylinders
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:51 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.