Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Donor cars
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 15th September 2014, 11:06 PM

Default BMW 328i, can't wait to get this engine in my kit

Just picked this up off ebay for £465, with a weeks MOT. As the sun's been out I thought I might as well MOT it and run it for a while to make sure the engine's good . Cost me £26 in rear brake parts to get it through

Gave it an oil change today before giving it the beans, and WOOOHOOO!! It's a flying machine!! Got an M50 inlet manifold to fit which should add about 30bhp. OMG it'll be mental in a Haynes!!
The engines been to the moon and back (several times) at 220k+ but has loads of service history , you can't hear it running, and it passed MOT emissions with totally shagged plugs a blocked air filter and oil like tar. So with a bit of TLC I think it'll make a decent donor. It's the first time I've driven one of these and it's a cracking smooth engine that pulls from nothing and just gets stronger and stronger as the revs rise.
Old 15th September 2014, 11:07 PM

Got the M50 manifold on now. Not a job I'll be in a hurry to do again!! Absolute tw@t to get off!!
What looks like a 1-2hr job, easily ran into a full 1/2 day to complete.
Anyway, it's on now c/w its 'remapped' ECU and it goes like stink!! I reckon it's faster in a straight line than the 3.0 V6 MR2 I built, so easy to believe it's putting 230bhp out. If anything it's smoother to drive too, which is a bonus.
I'm still struggling to get my head around how mental this is going to be in a '7'!!
Old 20th September 2014, 09:21 AM
Super Moderator

Will be fun

However I think you will find that the engine has only made it close to the moon once as it's avrages about 238,000 miles from the earth.

TT

Build Thread

Man Cave Mantiques

Cecil Street Auto Repairs Garage Carlisle

Build Cost £4181.65 - Last - Wheel Cylinders
Old 20th September 2014, 10:46 AM

My car will be putting out about that and it is mental.... just need to be careful about how much leather to use around corners.....that will be a heavyish motor so think about trying to equalize it at the back end, I know I put a BIG 3mm heavy ally tank in and I know gradually when it is starting to let go in a very predictable manner, if your back end is light it won't give you any notice it's about to slide......thats a nice find on good ol ebay at bargain money which you will proably get back in parts then 80-100 at an EOL breakers.
Old 21st September 2014, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K4KEV View Post
My car will be putting out about that and it is mental.... just need to be careful about how much leather to use around corners.....that will be a heavyish motor so think about trying to equalize it at the back end, I know I put a BIG 3mm heavy ally tank in and I know gradually when it is starting to let go in a very predictable manner, if your back end is light it won't give you any notice it's about to slide......thats a nice find on good ol ebay at bargain money which you will proably get back in parts then 80-100 at an EOL breakers.
Ta. The engine will be as far back as it will physically go and I'll put whatever I can at the back too. Speaking with a guy that did an M3 one, he got 50/50 weight distribution even with the M3s iron blocked 6cyl.
Old 21st September 2014, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinturbo View Post
Will be fun

However I think you will find that the engine has only made it close to the moon once as it's avrages about 238,000 miles from the earth.

TT
That's reassuring