Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Running gear
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 6th April 2010, 02:51 PM

Default Handbrake cable

There seem to be mixed opinions on here from reading all handbrake cable threads on here about how to shorten the sierra handbrake cable. Im about to do it, and was planning to cut off the drum end and shorten it there and then buy a nipple of some sort to go on the end? is this what i should be doing? Thanks
Old 6th April 2010, 03:47 PM

I cut the cable at the handbrake lever end, and shortened it. Joined it back together with wire rope clamps. No need to shorten the outer at all.

Cheers

Gus
Old 6th April 2010, 03:52 PM

ok, that sounds good, but how do i get the stopper/adjuster part of the sheath through cp14? i dont get it? anyone got pics of the area around cp14 with the handbrake bts fitted?
Old 6th April 2010, 04:43 PM

CP14 was my pet hate for this chassis. You have to cut the cable, handbrake end, in order for the cable to fit through and have the adjuster on the correct side. I'll grab some photos tonight when I get back home.

If I was to make another chassis, I'd put CP14 vertical (not following the 17 degrees rake on the seat back rail) and slot the holes to allow the cable to go in, without cutting.
Old 6th April 2010, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deezee View Post
CP14 was my pet hate for this chassis. You have to cut the cable, handbrake end, in order for the cable to fit through and have the adjuster on the correct side. I'll grab some photos tonight when I get back home.

If I was to make another chassis, I'd put CP14 vertical (not following the 17 degrees rake on the seat back rail) and slot the holes to allow the cable to go in, without cutting.
hmmm.. im not sure i understand why you are saying to put cp14 vertical, i read your posts about your problems earlier as well and wasnt sure as to why you had said to put it vertical then either. Also how would cutting it near the handbrake allow you to put it through. here is a pic of how i put it together: but im not sure how to secure the sheath to cp14?

Old 6th April 2010, 05:02 PM

What you have done seems right. You don't attach the sheath to cp14. You rely on the tension in the cable to keep it all in place.

What deezee means is that cp14 would be fitted vertical to the ground, and not following the slope of the back panel. Having it sloping means you form a bit of a kink in the outer close to cp14.
Old 6th April 2010, 05:45 PM

I shortened the inner cable at the drum end and attached 2 cable ends to stop it pulling thru the drum arm, it seems to have worked ok, i,ve also put an "E" clip on the outer cable where it goes thru CP14 ( the non adjuster side) & yes the tension on the cable keeps the other side ( adjuster side ) in place.

I agree with Deezee regarding the vertical position of CP14, the angle causes the cable to "point upwards" a little on its way to the lever half moon puller.

cheers
andy
Old 6th April 2010, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandyAndy View Post
I shortened the inner cable at the drum end and attached 2 cable ends to stop it pulling thru the drum arm, it seems to have worked ok, i,ve also put an "E" clip on the outer cable where it goes thru CP14 ( the non adjuster side) & yes the tension on the cable keeps the other side ( adjuster side ) in place.

I agree with Deezee regarding the vertical position of CP14, the angle causes the cable to "point upwards" a little on its way to the lever half moon puller.

cheers
andy
i now see why it would be better to be vertical, as before i thought there there was meant to be somthing attaching the sheath to cp14.. IVe got the cable fitted now, and will buy a screw nipple/ cable end thing to put on the shortened end then. now all i need before i take it around for a sin on my road is the clutch and throttle cables fitted
Old 6th April 2010, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeman View Post
now all i need before i take it around for a sin on my road is the clutch and throttle cables fitted
nice one Geeman, you,ve done a fantastic job building your car in such a short time
look forward to the video of you driving your Roadster. well done mate

cheers
andy