Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Bodywork and interior
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 3rd January 2014, 12:31 AM

Default Side panels

Just wondering if anybody has had trouble fitting the gillham online side panels ? My side panels seem to be to short from top to bottom, at the front of the chassis. I am referring to the height of the panel, to get it to fit, the panel has got to be forced open a little, making the panel distort badly. I have double checked my chassis height, and it is spot on. It's almost like the height of the panel needs to be increased to get the right c shape, where the panel does not distort. I have tried to send Dan a message at a Gillham, but he hasn't got back to me. I don't think that I can do much to get them to fit properly, I may have to buy aluminium sheet, and build my own.
Old 3rd January 2014, 09:01 AM

This problem has been posted before and if the floor is below the chassis rail it causes problems as the width will be greater than the depth of the panel.

Also suggested to leave in a warm room to make it a little more pliable.

If at first you dont succeed,avoid skydiving...

No parachute require to freefall,only if you want to do it twice.
Old 3rd January 2014, 10:49 AM

You could trim the bottom lip off all together and sikaflex/rivet along the side of the bottom rails rather than under them.

Cheers
Stot
Old 3rd January 2014, 11:52 AM

Cheers for that. I was close to throwing them out yesterday ! I thought that they would have been built allowing for the floor ? Cheers for the idea stot, sounds like a job for the trusted tiger seal ! Lol
Old 3rd January 2014, 01:53 PM

I had the same problem when fitting mine years ago. I ended up cutting out chunks and cutting in slots in the tightest areas. However i was never happy with the overall result. In the end I modelled them up in CAD and created a drawing, I had a local aluminium fabrication company knock them up for me for £120, I then vinyl wrapped them. I have to say they look the dogs danglys. If anyone is interested I can email a copy of the drawing. The design follows the same shape as the fibreglass type unlike the design in the book where the panel angles in following the chassis at the front which I dont think looks as good.

HTH
Old 3rd January 2014, 03:21 PM
Super Moderator

I cut the lip off mine.

TT

Build Thread

Man Cave Mantiques

Cecil Street Auto Repairs Garage Carlisle

Build Cost £4181.65 - Last - Wheel Cylinders
Old 3rd January 2014, 04:55 PM

Sorry to hear that. I was hoping the fibreglass panels were the easy option.
How thick is your floors? I was going to use 2mm aluminium hoping that 2mm wouldn't make much difference.
Old 3rd January 2014, 05:30 PM

This is the thing that stops me from recommending the use of GRP side panels, GRP shrinks when it cures and there is no part of the mould to regulate the thickness of the return flanges.

Direct email talonmotorfabrication@gmail.com
Old 3rd January 2014, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalonMotorFabrication View Post
This is the thing that stops me from recommending the use of GRP side panels, GRP shrinks when it cures and there is no part of the mould to regulate the thickness of the return flanges.
I see where your coming from BUT I just cant understand why the original design was so tight, why not Just add a bit more on ? In the worst case scenario this could be packed out.
When I did my design I added on 3mm for the floor and rivets and a further 2mm upper and lower to allow for tolerance in the chassis. They ended up fitting perfect the other bonus was they even worked out cheaper.
Old 4th January 2014, 08:30 AM

The moulds not good, there's no reason why they are that tight. I had a similar problem with my old side panels from Gts, didn't have much of an issue with my current side panels tho.

You might be able to stretch them slowly, don't like the idea of cutting the bottom flange off or cutting chunks out of it. That's just asking for trouble.