Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Bodywork and interior
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 6th August 2010, 09:30 PM

Question windscreen help ?

hi i would please like to know if full windscreen has any angles on the two sides LEFT and RIGHT and if so would anyone know
Old 6th August 2010, 10:36 PM

theyre normally just a flat pane of laminated glass.
Ray
Old 6th August 2010, 10:52 PM

Default windscreen help

i did not explain it right when you look at the template in the book you notice the bottom is longer then the top now i would like to know that angle it has from bottom to top
Old 8th August 2010, 01:41 PM

Screens for any 7 tend to be simple afairs just bent U section and supports that you bend to fit.
For IVA the sharp corners need to be rounded which can be done with a file and some wet and dry.
People like GBS/Robin Hood do the frames and glass, all you would need to know is how wide the scuttle is.
My screen is straight no angles an important consideration is the distance from screen edge back to the wheel arch, this becomes critical when you fit side screens.

Last edited by snapper : 8th August 2010 at 01:45 PM. Reason: More info
Old 8th August 2010, 11:06 PM

Default windscreen help

hi thanks for the info i understand that the length depends on your scuttle but the top is not the same length so that gives it an angle its not exactly 90degrees or am i wrong but if it has an angle i would just like to know what it is does not need to be an exact one but one that i can work with and i just wanted to know what is that black strip that is between the scuttle and the frame of the windscreen would anybody know please if someone could tell what it is and whats it for that would be nice thanks alot everyone for the help with all the info its greatly appreciated :-)
Old 9th August 2010, 10:53 AM

GBS and Lolocost do a screen bottom rail that has a gully that let's you slide in a 2 inch rubber strip. This rubber strip has a small T piece cross section.
As for the angle you perceive it is up to you, most are straight up but perhaps a few degrees in may be more astheticly pleasing for you.
I strongly suggest you make a mockup
Old 9th August 2010, 06:53 PM

Default windscreen help

do you maybe have a picture of that rubber strip
Old 10th August 2010, 09:11 AM

http://http://www.kitpartsdirect.com/page8.htm

T piece edge trim £10

You need to get to some Kit Car Shows with money in your pocket and a tape measure to copy what others have done, that's what I did
Old 10th August 2010, 09:28 AM

Oops just read your profile, you are a long way away.
The original "Build a Sports Car for under £250" by Ron Champion has a diagram of how to make the screen, personally I would ask Kits Parts Direct for the measurements of theirs.
The bottom rail runs along the scuttle and folds down the sides by a little.
I can read the problem you are trying to solve but describing it is difficult, I would do a mockup out of wood and cardboard, you will then solve the issues, next get the glass cut from a flat Landrover laminated screen, then make the screen surround fit that. Drill and tap any holes for fixing the screen or wet weather gear first.
I also put small support angle on each screen support for the screen to rest on, I did not like the idea of just 3 small bolts either side holding the screen on at over 100 mph.
To fit the screen I put bicycle inner tube round the glass edge and with some washing up liquid for lubrication I pushed it in, when the screen surround was bolted together and fixed to the car I ran a scalpel round to tidy up
Old 10th August 2010, 11:19 AM

Unhappy windscreen help

thanks for the info but im still so confused with this windscreen its driving me bit crazy lol but if someone could please maybe post some pictures of all the parts for used for the windscreen maybe i can get a better understanding of the parts and where they go cause right now im confused