Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Announcements
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 23rd January 2016, 02:50 PM

just in and managed to get some wee jobs taken care of and crossed of the list, quite chuffed as attached the bulkhead vin plate, doesn't sound like a big step but it makes it feel official , also scary as it means its getting close to iva application time
spoke to a very nice lady at vosa yesterday as their website didn't include Aberdeen test station and I thought that I would have to go to Edinburgh, lol , straight to the test and straight home officer, yes 500 miles round trip, after she finished laughing she did confirm that Aberdeen do the test. So it will only be 60 miles each way.
Any way I'm going over and over the car trying to be brutally honest with myself and be critical of everything, once I think I'm close I will try the local garage to do an emission test so I can see where I am on that.
Gary
Old 6th February 2016, 02:35 PM

a few up to date pics shows a wee bit of progress and also discovered a couple of issues to sort out , but getting there
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1st drive 3.jpg (31.0 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg 1st drive 5.jpg (33.9 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg 1st drive 6.jpg (40.7 KB, 41 views)
Old 6th February 2016, 06:11 PM
Super Moderator

Looks good

Build Thread

Man Cave Mantiques

Cecil Street Auto Repairs Garage Carlisle

Build Cost £4181.65 - Last - Wheel Cylinders
Old 7th February 2016, 03:27 PM

well got the headlights shining the right way today and went and saw a friend who is going to put the car on the headlamp aim at the garage and pushed my luck so he is going to do an emission run and brake test as well , next Saturday is mums birthday so it will be a fortnight after that at 7am
"If you don't mind being early just bring me a bottle of malt" was his comment so sorted at least till I see what happens .....
so I need to crack on with a few other jobs and have a bit of a push. I have in my head to aim for iva before easter if I can
Old 14th February 2016, 05:41 PM

well nothing done this weekend
mums birthday (you cannae miss your mums birthday) and its snowing n freezing today, so planning an attack next weekend
Old 20th February 2016, 06:38 PM

Oh NO what have I done now gulp.........
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20022016455.jpg (63.4 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg 20022016456.jpg (33.0 KB, 29 views)
Old 20th February 2016, 09:33 PM

Hi Gary
Nice to see your going for it. I must admit I started to fill mine in on Friday in work but haven't had the bottle to print if of and send it.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/124541083@N02/
https://haynes.co.uk/forums/showthre...=13262&page=12
Old 20th February 2016, 10:03 PM

Hi Matt, yeah I printed it out and kept looking at it and going over the car in the end I thought right.. you can keep looking and fiddling from now till doomsday... so went and got a big envelope printed off a selection of photos, the mx5 parts engine number / year of production info, copied and signed the receits / invoices for my NEW chassis steel and chassis plates, all my major '03 mx5 parts. Made sure I had filled signed and dated the iva app AND the amateur build declaration. Parceled it all up and went round to the post office. sorted that's that then, came home and went straight out to the car with a notepad, mmmmmm
Still I put that she would be available for test from Monday the 21 of march at Aberdeen, sooo, a deadline looms, nervous yes, excited yes may need to take a few days off if it looks tight, she is going to the local garage next Saturday so will get the headlights set the brakes checked and an emission run done, noise it makes some but will try and get a meter and see where it is at.
worst case is I get a fail but with a list of fixes, everything right to the nicky nacky noos crossed that a pass is in the offering
Old 21st February 2016, 04:11 PM

ok so ticked a few more wee jobs off today ...... made version 3 of the remote brake fluid reservoir, I used a focus reservoir, got a plug mmmm 3 wires, still its only a float switch, haha no matter what I did I could not perm the 3 wires to the mazda 2 wires and get the fluid level warning working ... So after much mucking about made an ally bracket to take the big round mx5 reservoir positioned it and reconnect pipes, handbrake off ... light on fill up with fluid ... light off handbrake on .... light on happy bunny so trimmed the requisite fluid sticker to size and put it on the reservoir cap. SORTED at last.
moral don't mix manufacturers !!!!! started hailstone and rain so came in . Next is to disconnect the neutral switch and sort out the twin T/Bs
Old 22nd February 2016, 03:51 PM

so went out and started attacking the 2 throttle bodies no matter what I did It still wasn't right, searched about compressor surge causing problems, so checked the bypass was working... yes popping open n shut like a good un,
Then the old fella next door came out to see if I needed a hand... he couldn't and didn't want to attempt to slide into the drivers seat and asked if it was ok to work the throttle by twisting the linkage, and guess what no running on a steady idle, clean pick up and drop back, now whats the problem ????

a badly routed throttle cable from the pedal was causing enough friction that the linkage was dragging so iffy pick up and not returning cleanly.

so re did the cable checking the pedal was free and the cable was free and guess what its all behaving from the drivers seat and by twiddlingt linkage
MUPPET moment

still at least that's all done now