Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > General discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 14th July 2011, 10:41 PM

Hey all,

not after a budget build just a rough idea for all the bits you 'forget' about......

as an old school teacher once said 'Prior planning and prepration prevents piss poor performance' and have to admit its true!

I LISTEN TO THE VOICES IN MY TOOLBOX

Old 14th July 2011, 10:54 PM

I have a spreadsheet with all my costs on, when I started I gave everything a rough estimate and put actual cost next to it showing the her in doors that it is costing less than I thought keeps her happy
Old 15th July 2011, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sven8t4 View Post
Liking the maths there!

Any chance of a copy Twin?

Sven
Sorry Sven, I just have my running total in my sig! I'm sure someone will have one.

PS, I go for the five B's rather than P's

Beer, Big eats, Bag off & Back on Board! (that's the navy for ye!)

CSF £857.19

Twins Roadster
Old 15th July 2011, 08:44 AM

I had a spreadsheet in the beginning but once the costs including tools and replacements for the parts I broke got to a certain number I stopped updating it also. The Mrs would kill me is she really knew how much I'd spent...
Old 15th July 2011, 10:01 AM

Red face

Yes, I agrree I have a spread sheet I really do not want to count the cost. This built and the Ron Champion built was never going to be a budget especially with the state of econemy in the last few years.

At the end of the day you really can not price a hobby, otherwise you can not enjoy it!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by robo View Post
I dont think you could ever be accurate about the true costs of a build. There are to many things on the long road to a build that just dont get costed in. If you were lucky with your donor and didnt need to overhaul every part, the wheels and tyres were usable , then fitted everything as it came off the donor without painting and cleaning up stuff i reckon you could do a budget build. But if you want a tyre smoking track day car that looks the biz inside and out god only knows the true cost. My mate built a v8 westfield for under 4k and the other day i saw a v8 dax rush that had cost the bloke about 30k. Much the same thing on the road but one was built by my tightwad mate and the other bloke must have been an oil tycoon.

just my 2pc

Bob
Old 15th July 2011, 12:57 PM

I have a spread sheet detailing what I have brought and the supplier and price. But then I don't have a budget, it just costs what it costs
Although it needs updating

IVA passed 20 June 2017
Flickr Album
Old 15th July 2011, 01:33 PM

Now I have not started my build as yet but I am collecting parts for my build picked up some front indicators for a pound each the other day thats 25p each in wife pounds
Old 15th July 2011, 01:46 PM

I've got a google docs spreadsheet so I can update it from work after a lunchtime's ebaying.
It's got columns for all the parts I've bought, all the donor parts I've sold, and an estimate for everything I've got left to buy.
It's funny how the estimate of what's left seems to go up rather than down!
My estimate for the total build cost is currently about £4k, not including IVA / road registering, but I'm pretty sure that's going to somehow creep up by another grand or so.

I used to use a 2:1 wife pound ratio, but I'm sure she cottoned on and double every figure I told her!
I've got a much better policy for the roadster - Don't ask, don't tell.
Everyone is happy then, she's living in ignorant bliss, and I don't feel bad about bending the truth
Old 16th July 2011, 07:43 AM

Smile

No one has dialed in the true cost of any of this because long before there are any boys toys bought there is the hidden cost of the her in doors/ enemy softening up process. How many weekends away, expensive meals, womens clothes ect appear on anyones spreadsheets. That brings the women /pound argument to a different level.

Bob
Old 16th July 2011, 09:51 AM
Super Moderator

Using my spreadsheet would be fairly useless as it lists items I have bought, everyones will be different.

All you need to do is list all the items you have bought and all the items you need to, have two columns ( bought, to buy ) and put a value in each as appropriate.

total each column to get the expenditure so far and the expected expenditure.

total expend + expected to get the grand total.

Add in a sales column too if you want to show that separately.

I do something similar for all my cars.

I total costs (ex petrol/tax/ins ) and mileage and work out the cost per mile. My aim on all cars is to better 10 miles per £. so a car that costs me £100 should return 1000 miles. For example my galaxy has cost so far £4298, and has done 18,854 Miles giving a MP£ rating of 4.38 . There is "Value" in the asset though which means the probable MP£ when finished with the vehicle will be much closer to GOAL.

The only car that is not on this scheme is My sapphire, but Microsoft had not even launched Windows 95 when I got that... It's probably had £4K investment and done 90K so once it's on the road i will start fresh with a buy in figure...

The roadster will move on to this scheme too, the MP£ is never going to get near to 10 but the residual value is likely to heavily offset this if I ever sell.

TT

Build Thread

Man Cave Mantiques

Cecil Street Auto Repairs Garage Carlisle

Build Cost £4181.65 - Last - Wheel Cylinders