Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Running gear
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 19th September 2012, 06:10 PM

Default modify to fit 14" rears?

i am trying to work out if i could modify the rear end some how to alow 14" alloy wheels to be fitted
i dont think a very low profile tyre works so well on such a light car and
i have seen some very nice almost new minilights with 20mm offset

its mega close to the bead area on the inside of the rim with a std ford sierra steel rim and a normal bottom fixing bolt and lock nut on the rear upright

the orignal print book had rear suspension that was too narrow for the drive shafts and the wishbones where ajusted to make them 10mm longer and fix the problem
i suspect it was the upright that needed the attention

i think if i could change the fixing of the bottom bolt/nut to a lower profile item some how i could get 14" alloys on

one way i was thinking was to ditch the tube in bottom of the rear upright and replace it with a rod with tapped holes in and use 2 m12 bolts but this means i have to chop or make new rear uprights other idea was to use a 12mm rod or bolt and drill and tap one end to take a m10 inside it but i don't think its such a good idea

has anyone managed to do it yet or found a way to do it?

Last edited by baz-r : 19th September 2012 at 07:03 PM.
Old 19th September 2012, 08:36 PM

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
I did a set of lower rears with a narrower opening between the outer bush tubes, with narrower upright to suit, for a customer with the same problem. He hasnt had any problems with it so far, from memory it was about 35mm narrower altogether. Another option which i sugested to begin with but he didnt like the idea, was just to modify the lower wishbones to use rose joints instead of poly's. That will narrow the bottom susbstantially<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<