Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > SVA/Legal
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 3rd June 2009, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapper View Post
The IVA examiner does not know what he is talking about.

I'll not be relaying that message to my IVA examiner when I present my car for its inspection

On a serious note. I have raised the subject of MOT in my letter to my local DVLA office.

At the end of the day, I must act in accordance with the advice that I am given at a local level.

www.roadster-builders.co.uk
Old 4th June 2009, 11:22 AM

DVLA update

Just got of the phone to DVLA....

MOT after registration, 3 years from date of first registration not date of IVA pass, this applies to all vehicles tested under the new IVA regulatons, i.e Q, age related, new registration.

Advise from DVLA, do not MOT before IVA or indeed after IVA unless instructed to do so or until 3 years has passed, to do otherwise will only confuse the computer based system causing you, and only you, trouble in the future.

The person i spoke to is very well aware of the confusion and also intimated that VOSA would look at the registration number as the age of the vehicle and give advise on that when the advise should be given on the age of the vehicle, i.e. first registration. They also said that as far as they are aware the new IVA regulations has not affected the registration process as DVLA sees it.

Now this was only a phone call so i have emailed the DVLA with the same question i put to them over the phone.
When i get a reply in writing i will post it as an attachment on this Forum and the others that i regularly visit.
Old 4th June 2009, 11:28 AM

Quote:
At the end of the day, I must act in accordance with the advice that I am given at a local level.
Beware the "Local level" DVLA, bless them, but they do not make policy and you may not be talking to an expert.

I work in Government and am fully aware that the local area office may not be fully briefed on current legislation or at least may not administer it to current regulations.

Go to the top, get that in writing, present that to the local area office.
Old 4th June 2009, 12:46 PM

Cheers for the leg work Snapper

The situation is becoming a lot clearer in my head

It is such a pitty that DVLA do not put some clear & accurate information on thier website.
I know that the numbers of people wishing to register a kit car is only a very small minority but that is no excuse for lack of available information.

I would be more than happy to pay a small fee for a DVLA, kit car information pack.

www.roadster-builders.co.uk
Old 4th June 2009, 05:11 PM

The old chesnut liabilty rears its ugly government head "We never said that was right" nothing definative as usual.
It always appears that people who pen the legislation dont know butt from elbow and if they carry out consultation who on earth are they consulting.

Last edited by flyerncle : 4th June 2009 at 05:13 PM.
Old 4th June 2009, 07:25 PM

June Which Kit is also trying to get to the bottom of this problem and did indeed publish similar conclusions on age as refered to by the start of this thread.
They have asked Paul Jepson to do some legwork and will report next month.
I now have a confirmation of emailed information request from DVLA saying they will reply within 3 days, I take that to mean 3 working days from tomorrow so hope for some sort of conclusion by Wednesday.
Old 4th June 2009, 09:09 PM
fabbyglass

Use the engine that comes free with the sierra unless the donor sierra was fitted and registered with an R1 motor lurking under the bonnet...going to be issues with IVA otherwise.
Old 4th June 2009, 09:34 PM

Devil if you do and devil if you don't.
Duty of disclosure comes to mind and what are the penaltys when the stuff hits the fan after something goes wrong,do it right do it legally.

Dare I say this returning to the question of MOT,It is possible to mot a new car ie 1 year old and all that will happen is the MOT system will tell you that the car is too early to be tested
and will not stop you from testing it and makes a mockery of the system,and I would suppose after reading the posts it would generate a request every year thereafter when taxing the vehicle for a current MOT cert.
I agree this needs expert clarification and hope this can be done and with luck VOSA may conclude the draft proposal regarding the IVA (we all live in hope).

Last edited by flyerncle : 4th June 2009 at 09:42 PM.
Old 4th June 2009, 09:39 PM
fabbyglass

Rules and and that jazz.......
Old 5th June 2009, 09:50 AM

Confusion reigns, well no suprise there then.
DVLA have emailed me back sying "VOSA are responsible for the MOT tests"
We all new that but who decides when?
Phoned up DVLA again and spent 1/2 an hour telling the person on the line things they did not know about Kit Built vehicles and registration.

The verbal conclusion is that Kit built vehicles when they have passed IVA are considered new at first registration, this should be stated on the V5.

When you get your V11 tax reminder it will state on that what documentation you need to have to complete the taxing of your vehicle, if it does not ask for an MOT at this stage, you don't need one to tax the car.

After IVA you do not need an MoT to tax the car first time, they do the tax using the MAC as proof of road worthyness.

My next port of call is the policy department of DVLA, which i will write to today or Monday. The question will be a general one about MOT after Kit built IVA with perhaps a question about the different registrations and the date of first registration.
It will not go into any detail at this stage as i don't want to raise any issues and flag it up as a problem that could cause a kneejerk reaction.

My current conclusion is that No MOT is needed before or immediately after IVA until the tax renewal reminder notice V11 says you need an MOT.

The main stumbling block is the date of first registration and the date of manufacture, when registering for the first time you must make sure that the local office are aware that it is a Kit Built vehicle and not a Kit modified vehicle.
This is where (probably) the local office interpretation can cause us problems.