Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > General discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 15th April 2010, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eSteve View Post
twimTurbo,

you need to persevere with those rectangles. Since a rectangle is a surface which in Sketchup can be made in to a 3D object by use of the PushPull tool.

I gather you have drawn the chassis in 2D with a collection of lines, so as you have a representation of fig 4.2 in your Sketchup model. Is that correct?

Think more about planes (surfaces) rather than lines.

Strangely enough lines on their own aren't much good in Sketchup for modelling 3D objects. Having used the more 'engineering' type CAD packages, I was drawn in (no pun intended) to using Sketchup with this approach of creating drawings with lines. But really you want to be drawing rectangles (to draw a rectangle and before releasing the mouse button type the size (e.g. 1000mm,200mm) and then release, this will give you a rectangle to say representing the underside of a bottom rail) to create the components of the chassis. Create all the reactangles required to create the frame. Arrange them togther, the angled one are a bit fun to get lined up and then use the PushPull tool to 'lift' each reactangle by 25mm. Thus you will get a 3D model of the bottom chassis rails.

I know it's frustrating but getting the hang of this will get you a long long way on getting to grips with Sketchup and it being useful. As I said before, I had two or three attempts at getting Sketchup to do what I wanted, but a bit of determination and a study of the tutorials will help.

The best tip is to stop thinking like a draughtsman would, i.e. as one would when drawing with a pencil ruler and drawing board, and go along with the surfaces approach used by Sketchup.

Don't give up.
Just got TurboCAD this week and have just had a quick look at and found it a bit confusing. But I think that you hit the nail on the head as I was trained as draughtsman (pen and paper type) and I’ve realised that I cannot approach it in the way I used to when on the drawing board. I guess I will have to read the manual!!.
Anyone with experience of TurboCAD that could offer any advice I would be grateful.
Old 15th April 2010, 08:48 PM

Default Have a look at this...

twinTurbo,

have a search for 'Haynes Roadster' in Sketchup 3D warehouse now. I have uploaded my partial model of the chassis, only bottom rails so far, but maybe it might give you a bit of a start. Some detail around the angle joints needs improving but it's accurate to about 0.5 mm. If you or anyone else finds inaccuracies in it then let me know as it is a work in progress and I can update it.

Hope that helps.

eSteve

Old 15th April 2010, 09:59 PM
Super Moderator

Well after a couple of hours i have got this far.. It's fiddly sometimes, especialy when trying to use the protractor etc..

But happy so far

TT
Attached Images
File Type: jpg r1chas.JPG (43.3 KB, 29 views)

Build Thread

Man Cave Mantiques

Cecil Street Auto Repairs Garage Carlisle

Build Cost £4181.65 - Last - Wheel Cylinders
Old 16th April 2010, 07:50 AM

Looking good, good progress, looks to me like you've got it sorted. Yes the protractor is a little tricky to use, particularly when trying to rotate items to touch or line up with others.

eSteve

Old 21st April 2010, 10:06 PM
Super Moderator

I found out today from one of my colleagues....

Solidworks is on our systems at work. I guess I should pay more attention to what the Junior Tech's are being asked to install on the network...

TT

Build Thread

Man Cave Mantiques

Cecil Street Auto Repairs Garage Carlisle

Build Cost £4181.65 - Last - Wheel Cylinders