Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Chassis
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 2nd June 2010, 07:59 PM

Default Full roll cages for roadster

I've been thinking about supplying full rollcages for a while but as with the rest of the roadster it's going to be one of those personal taste things. I build Autograss cages and space frames so I know where the mounting points need to be and how to spread the load with mounting plates.
Would you want an internal cage that can either be bolted in as a retrofit or fully welded in mid build? One advantage of bolting it in would be you could remove it if need be. I'm not talking FIA/MSA spec cage if it was bolted in but some thing is better than nothing espesh if you want to do track days once in awhile.
The other option would be an external cage but that would probably be best fitted mid build as it may cause problems if you have fitted your side panels.This option will require mounting plates to be welded to the chassis as the forces will be pulling down on the upright tubes rather than pushing on the bottom rails and floor.
Before every one jumps in and says that 'they will pay more for safety' how many will YOU be buying? So you can start the ERW thickness Vs CDS safty arguement, I will be offering both options so you can make your own mind up on where you want to spend your money.
Tubing will be either be 42x2.5 or 48x2.5 CDS or ERW machine profile cut suitable for TIG welding if you so wish.
These cages will be for road use only but with motor sport in mind, they will not be FIA/MSA compliant how ever they will not be flimsy add on 'roof racks'.
Any thoughts and opinions welcomed, I'll post some pics of the product when I've got round to putting some bends in it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rollcagedesignsroadster.jpg (74.3 KB, 105 views)

Direct email phil@talonmotorfabrication.co.uk

talonmotorfabrication@gmail.com

Mobile office hours 07514098334
Old 2nd June 2010, 08:48 PM

I'll definatly be going down the full cage route and I was planning on designing it myself using finite element anaylsis.

Welderman on locostbuilders gave me a quote of £400 for a fully welded in cage including side impact protecting using 48x2.5 CDS.

My plan was also to have a MSA compliant cage, as it doesn't look too difficult to design a cage for this purpose.

Finally I also decided that the cage was going to be mounted to the front with a horizontal cross member, meaning that there wouldnt be a 50mm diameter tube taking up valuable leg room.

Would you be able to watch weldermans quote for your cages?

My Build Blog: http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=2736 - Last Update: 31st October 2020

Total Spent so far: Stopped counting
Old 2nd June 2010, 09:08 PM

TBH I don't think £400 is a bad price for what you'd be getting, is that for a flat pack kit or is that all nuts, bolts, fit and finish? It's the little details that people don't take in to accout that pushes the price up.

Direct email phil@talonmotorfabrication.co.uk

talonmotorfabrication@gmail.com

Mobile office hours 07514098334
Old 2nd June 2010, 09:41 PM

hi, would definately be interested what sort of prices are we talking for a non race spec cage
Old 2nd June 2010, 11:58 PM

It would be a fully completed cage, completely welded in and unpainted.

My Build Blog: http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=2736 - Last Update: 31st October 2020

Total Spent so far: Stopped counting