Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Announcements
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 24th December 2009, 06:34 PM

Default Hello but I'm not building a Haynes roadster, quite

Hi guys, just found this forum today and spent a while browsing through, looks good so I joined.

I'm not exactly building a Haynes Roadster as in the book but I am using the book for guidance. What I have got is a 12 year old Locust which I picked up from the local breakers yard cheap minus engine transmission and steering rack. Once I got it into my workshop (just to make everyone jealous I run my own business and have a 2000 sq/ft workshop to play in ) I had a think about what engine to go for. I decided something outrageous was called for so started browsing Ebay and soon found a Granada Scorpio Cosworth going silly cheap and I got it.

Stripped the granny and disposed of the shell (still got a ruck of spares to get shot of on Ebay) and recently dug the Locust out of the corner to start work on it.

For those of you who don't know what a Locust is its a cheap version of a se7en style roadster that has a very simple ladder chassis and plywood body clad in aluminium sheet which actually makes it rather heavy, I weighed it when I got it and it came in at 570KGs with no engine or gearbox .

Anyway, we've stripped the bodywork off and I've started reframing the chassis, basically I'm adding framework made from 25mm sq tube and 25x25x3mm angle.

I hope you'll accept me as a fellow builder even though its not a true Haynes roadster.

Happy Christmas, D.