Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Announcements
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 16th August 2010, 07:46 PM

Just revisiting this thread and noticed I had not updated it since June, that means I haven't done anything meaningful to the Dragon for nigh on two months .

Anyway that may all change in the near future, I've just bought an AC/DC TIG welder off the bay, I've been bidding on several second hand units over the last month or so but they all went to more than I was prepared to cough up so I've bought a brand new unit. Its a "WSE 200" 200 amp AC/DC tig welder complete with foot pedal (which is damned near vital for aly work) for £350 delivered. I just hope it is as good as its write up.

Once I have this machine and a bottle of Argon/regulator I can set to with chopping the sump down and welding up the intake manifold, I have all the bits cut and formed just got to glue 'em all together . Its been a couple of years since I did any TIG work but I'm looking forward to getting back into it. The really good news is that I have a new product in mind for my business that will require aluminium welding so its all nicely justified .

D.
Old 16th August 2010, 08:15 PM

Unhappy Join the club

In the same boat as you Davy, not been able to touch my build for the entire summer.

It sounds very much as if you have bought the same TIG welder as me.

I was a bit reluctant to go down the budget route but to be honest, I could not justify buying a high end set .... Not a hope in hell of finding a good quality, used single phase set in this neck of the woods.

Anyhow I was quite pleased with the TIG welder & it does what it says on the tin.

Here's a couple of test pieces that I done to try & get my eye back in .... Been over 20 years since I last TIG welded alloy

Here's hoping that your set will work as well as mine.

www.roadster-builders.co.uk
Old 16th August 2010, 08:40 PM

Cheers Ronnie, if I can make welds that look as good as that I'll be a happy bunny . I have done lots of aly TIG work in the past but its about 7 years since I last touched a TIG set so its going to be a bit of a "learning curve" as modern parlance has it.

D.
Old 16th August 2010, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davey View Post

I have done lots of aly TIG work in the past but its about 7 years since I last touched a TIG set so its going to be a bit of a "learning curve" as modern parlance has it.

D.
Like riding a bike Davy, once the skill is learnt, it never really leaves you

I dare say after a short while of getting to know the new set, you'll soon be back in full swing

Did manage to use about £30's worth of Argon messing about on bits of scrap

www.roadster-builders.co.uk
Old 16th August 2010, 10:12 PM

Yeah the cost of consumables is a bit daunting ! I seem to recall back in 1987 when I was foreman in a fab shop we charged (I think) £5 an inch for aly tig work . Can't wait to get my new toy and have a play with it

D.
Old 17th August 2010, 08:22 PM

Well I've just sold my type nine box on the bay, after seven days it had 57 watching it but only one bid and that was right at the end so it went for £50 not as much as I paid for it but better than a kick in the sensitive bits I suppose . I've also got an Iveco wheel and tyre on and some eejit in Warrington actually asked me to "meet him half way" to save his delivery/collection costs ! Obviously I said "not a freeking chance bud!". some other muppet from Scotland complained that the overnight courier costs were too expensive and could i send it by some cheaper means? For a wheel and tyre going for £26 he really expects me to bust my nuts to find a cheaper way of getting it to Scottyland?

Obviously we all use Ebay at some point, some of us use it lots of times, I know I do but it does seem to be patrolled by eejits some days.

D.
Old 17th August 2010, 08:45 PM
Super Moderator

£11 by Parcel Farce if it's under 25KG

TT

Build Thread

Man Cave Mantiques

Cecil Street Auto Repairs Garage Carlisle

Build Cost £4181.65 - Last - Wheel Cylinders
Old 17th August 2010, 09:22 PM

Wheel and tyre on a pallet weighs in at 45 KGs, Iveco wheels are on the larger side.

D.
Old 17th August 2010, 09:30 PM

Hi Davey.

Check below:

www.directcouriersolutions.co.uk good deals for wheels.

www.parcelmonkey.co.uk

Hope that helps
Old 18th August 2010, 08:14 PM

Thanks for those links guys but they won't be necessary, the gearbox was collected this evening and the guy who won the spare wheel will collect it unless I can get it delivered for less than a tenner, guess he's gonna be collecting it then .

Better news is my new TIG welder arrived this morning and looks fan-chuffing-tastic . I just need to make a trolley for it, get a bottle of Argon and reg plus some hose and I'm away . Instruction book is the usual direct translation from Chinese, here's an exerpt:
"Electric shock-------------may lead to death!!........................................... .....Caution! The machine is mainly used in industry. It will produce radio wave, so the worker should make fully preparation for protection."

Can't wait to get started with it, D.