Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Announcements
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 2nd April 2011, 04:13 PM

Wink Reality check

Having taken a couple of days out to chill, I think it is time for a bit of a reality check !!

It saddens me to see another bought of troubled times within the forum.
In common with the last big event, it would once again seem as if I were once more at the heart of the problem .... This time my crime was defending the Haynes Roadster design ??

The fact that saddens me most is, once more Handy Andy has become the innocent victim of the whole sorry affair, yet again, Andy has been portrayed as the villain.

Anyone who has ever met Andy would know, there is not a bad bone in his body & you could not wish to meet a more helpful, friendly & kind hearted person.

Now, not looking for sympathy here, I am going to tell you the story of Bonzo.
Hopefully after reading this you will see that there are worse things in life to worry about.

As a wee child I broke my spine, it was forecast that by the time I was a teenager, I would permanently confined to a wheelchair.
Thankfully for me, the forecast was wrong & I enjoyed a very active career as a welder/fabricator ( Mainly )
Able to work for 12 - 14hrs daily, right up into my late 40's ( That's not to say that I did not have a few setbacks along the way )

By the time my mobility problems came to a head , modern technology had advanced since I was a child, after a few MRI scans & a few visits to the neurosurgeon it was found that the damage to my spine was too great & my condition was inoperable, that was that, I am stuck with that particular lot in life.

Shortly after ceasing full time work I had a rather large lump that started to grow on the side of my neck, just bellow my ear .... I thought my brain was starting to leak out cos my head was too big

This was diagnosed as a tumour & was quickly removed by means of lengthy surgery, lots of treatment later, I was finally given the all clear, my check ups are now every Two years.

The biggest shock of all was that during all of the investigation work it was found that I also have Leukaemia, sadly for me this type of leukaemia is untreatable & is ultimately terminal,
Fortunately for me, this could be a good few years from now.

Fast forward a few years .... this old Muppet here keels over after suffering a heart attack, several more attacks followed & after a couple of angiograms I have been given an IOU for heart by pass surgery .... Getting towards the end of that IOU period & to tell you all the truth, I aint looking forward to that day when it comes !!

Looking on the bright side of things .... There's not a lot else that can go wrong & if it does, at least I can say that I have collected the whole set

At this very low point in my personal life the Haynes Roadster book came along , shortly followed by this forum.

Not being one to sit about feeling sorry for myself I started building the Roadster .... There are times when I simply have no energy for the build & others when I lack the mobility to work on it but thanks to Chris Gibbs & Haynes at least life has some meaning.
I am able to potter about doing what I like to do, tinkering with motors & generally making things.

So that's the story of me folks.

For some this forum is a source of information, for some it is a place to share ideas / build progress & for a very tiny minority it is a place to come to wind folk up ( It's the same on every forum )
Personally for me, this forum is a lifeline to the outside world, being a sad old git I don't get out much & consider myself amongst friends on this forum.
This forum is also the inspiration that keeps me plugging away at my own build.

Without the very personal support that I have received from certain members of this forum, I very much doubt that I would have got as far as I have done, let alone the desire to see my build to the end.

I sincerely apologise if folk think that I have once again been at the root of the forums current problems.
Know I should be old & wise enough to rise above wind up posts but to be honest, if I see a post like that & I am having an off day I just can't help myself, life's too short to sit and silently stew, very much like a fart, better out than in !!??

Probably the wrong outlook to have but there, that's me .

Hopefully normal service will resume soon & all of this crap will be behind us once more.

www.roadster-builders.co.uk
Old 2nd April 2011, 04:46 PM

Ronnie have a cup of tea and a few deep breaths, forget about all this political crap on here and hide your self away in the garage. Have a few 'happy hours' with progressing your build and relax. At the end of the day what goes on here realy is not worth the stress to your self or the affect it has on those that surround you. Belive me there is more to life than petty arguements between people that may never meet face to face. Please take this post with all the good will and intention that is ment within it.
All the best Phil@ Talon

Direct email phil@talonmotorfabrication.co.uk

talonmotorfabrication@gmail.com

Mobile office hours 07514098334

Last edited by Talonmotorsport : 2nd April 2011 at 04:58 PM.
Old 2nd April 2011, 05:05 PM

Thank you Phil

I guess using the forum as a crutch to ease what would be an otherwise boring day has it's drawbacks & can at times have the opposite effect

Yes of course you are right, much more in life to stress about.

Last edited by Bonzo : 2nd April 2011 at 10:11 PM.
Old 2nd April 2011, 05:35 PM

I'm glad your back on the forum Ronnie, it's been a couple of quiet days without you. I never saw what you said but I'm sure there was nothing against it.

With regard to HandyAndy I personally do not think that he should stand down as a moderator. Even if he has a finanical tie to the forum, at least he is commited to the forum. He could very easily have got bored of the forum or have other more important things happening in his life (Ginge). This is similar to Ash's situation he could very easily drift off from the forum now that he has completed his car (I'm not saying he will).

Anyways there are more important things to worry about. We just need Handy back then this place will be back to normal (ish) again.

Hope this doesn't offend anyone.
Old 2nd April 2011, 05:41 PM

RESPECT.

And now I know why when people say to me you can't do that or that will never work it makes me all the more determine to prove them wrong.

Regards

John
Old 2nd April 2011, 08:20 PM

i,ve seen you galloping around your place mate
you aint doin that bad on it
must be the missus tea that keeps you going
agree shame about the shananigans on here but there you go
nowt as queer as folk
cheers les g
PS.you have an email
Old 2nd April 2011, 08:56 PM

Certainly helps to put things into perspective Ronnie

At the end of the day we all post on here as we have something in common that we all enjoy, these petty situations that sometimes arise are crazy!
Old 2nd April 2011, 10:05 PM

Les

Just as well you didn't see me 12ft up in our cherry tree last week .... The wife did & I almost got sent to bed early

I had the last laugh on Junior though .... He was scared that the top of the tree would fall on him if he cut it .... Well I completed cutting it & tossed it out of the tree & it landed on Juniors head whilst he was standing on the foot of the ladder

Must admit, didn't feel too clever after that bit of excercise though ( Stubborn old fool, that's me )

The wifeys tea & care keeps me going but I blame her unreasonable demands on my body for me dodgy ticker ( I wish )

Mark

Couldn't agree more mate.

Old 3rd April 2011, 12:00 AM

Talking hear hear !

i know ive only been a member a few weeks and only had a new knee but being a land lord i miss the crack with the lads ,but the forum has kept me in touch with reality. keep your pecker up ronnie best wishes mate . stan 1
Old 3rd April 2011, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonzo View Post
Les

Just as well you didn't see me 12ft up in our cherry tree last week .... The wife did & I almost got sent to bed early

I had the last laugh on Junior though .... He was scared that the top of the tree would fall on him if he cut it .... Well I completed cutting it & tossed it out of the tree & it landed on Juniors head whilst he was standing on the foot of the ladder

Must admit, didn't feel too clever after that bit of excercise though ( Stubborn old fool, that's me )

The wifeys tea & care keeps me going but I blame her unreasonable demands on my body for me dodgy ticker ( I wish )

Mark

Couldn't agree more mate.

RONNIE
oh come on
your wife is gorgeous......
i bet all that chasing her around....
is the cause of your dodgy ticker
cheers les g