Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Announcements
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 27th April 2014, 09:15 PM

I must of had my rack on and off 10 times before getting it right. What's salting?
Old 30th April 2014, 12:20 AM

Default Cycle wings

I spent a bit of time this evening starting to fit my cycle wings. All was going well until I noticed the cable on my drill had become damaged near the handle. When I went to put it down it shorted and made a very big flash. Luckily I didn't blow my bollocks off as that what the cable was near about 10 seconds earlier when I was drilling my bracket. I had a closer look and the cable had snapped. It's a cheap argos drill 9.99 that had drilled all of the holes for my car but I'm still a bit peeved as the cable shouldn't snap like that. I might complain to see if I can get my money back.

I now need to buy a drill to drill 2 holes lol

http://www.flickr.com/photos/67112582@N03/

Saturn MX5 Based Chassis, Limited Slip Diff & 2.4 Quick Rack.

Build cost.... seems to be spending more on tools than car bits at the moment! (they will be handy in the future though).
Car iva'd and passed 15/08/2014. Finished weight 572kg.
Old 30th April 2014, 12:29 AM

Always the way! I had an old landrover years ago and had to cut off the bolts that held the door hinges on....sure enough my grinder shit itself with one hinge still attached!
Old 30th April 2014, 08:10 AM

I was using a leccy drill in the yard one day and the dog (9 stone German Sheperd) sniffed it and jumped 6 ft in the air all four paws.

It toowas live !

Dog survived never went near drill again.

The other half always used to coil up the laptop power lead,I said "the cable will snap if you keep doing that" two weeks later it blew a hole in the carpet .

If at first you dont succeed,avoid skydiving...

No parachute require to freefall,only if you want to do it twice.

Last edited by flyerncle : 30th April 2014 at 08:13 AM.
Old 1st May 2014, 03:15 PM

Default what next

As the weather is improving i'm going to start at looking to see if I can get my hands on a trailer for a few days. I want to take it somewhere wher I can give it some shakedown testing to see if anything falls off etc..

I will then need to put a few IVA trims on then should be done (after a nice polish or two)

David

Build cost.... seems to be spending more on tools than car bits at the moment! (they will be handy in the future though).
Old 10th May 2014, 11:01 AM

Default 2 steps forward 1 step back!

I spent a bit more time working on my car yesterday. I have now fully fitted the cycle wings and also fixed the issue with the steering rack fouling the wishbones.

I decided to invert the brake switch as I had it placed so that it was on the top of the tee. I thought this was a potential spot to trap air so moved it so the switch is under the tee. I rewired everything back in and for some my rear brake lights stopped working (as well as the horn). The annoying thing is is didn't know if they had been working before I had moved the switch. I had a good study of the electrical wiring diagram and after a good hour of un-assembling my car (I should have put the fuse box in a easier to locate position) realised I had a blown fuse. The fuse that had been put in was the incorrect rating. Maybee when i had been out having a little spin earlier in the day they blew. All fixed now and the car is back in one peice.

The next issue I noticed is.... when i was driving it the car has developed a misfire. I changed the HT leads and this made no change. Next stage will be the plugs (even though they are fiarly new), coil pack and possible lambda sensor.

I only took the car out of the garage to take some nice pictures to put on here and it turned into a whole days worth of tinkering!!

David

Old 10th May 2014, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidbolam View Post
I spent a bit more time working on my car yesterday. I have now fully fitted the cycle wings and also fixed the issue with the steering rack fouling the wishbones.

I decided to invert the brake switch as I had it placed so that it was on the top of the tee. I thought this was a potential spot to trap air so moved it so the switch is under the tee. I rewired everything back in and for some my rear brake lights stopped working (as well as the horn). The annoying thing is is didn't know if they had been working before I had moved the switch. I had a good study of the electrical wiring diagram and after a good hour of un-assembling my car (I should have put the fuse box in a easier to locate position) realised I had a blown fuse. The fuse that had been put in was the incorrect rating. Maybee when i had been out having a little spin earlier in the day they blew. All fixed now and the car is back in one peice.

The next issue I noticed is.... when i was driving it the car has developed a misfire. I changed the HT leads and this made no change. Next stage will be the plugs (even though they are fiarly new), coil pack and possible lambda sensor.

I only took the car out of the garage to take some nice pictures to put on here and it turned into a whole days worth of tinkering!!

David
I have a 1.6 coil pack I'm not using if you need one. I put COP on mine so its just going spare.

Cheers
Stot
Old 10th May 2014, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stot View Post
I have a 1.6 coil pack I'm not using if you need one. I put COP on mine so its just going spare.

Cheers
Stot
That would be great. Can you drop me a pm with how much you want and I will sort it ASAP

David

Old 20th June 2014, 11:30 PM

Default Tightening headlights

As I am doing the last couple of jobs (still).

I have been wondering how to tighten the headlights without disconnecting them.

My solution was to buy a 21mm diesel injector socket and chop out a chunk. It took some chopping with my hack saw but here is the finished result.

I also had a delivery of 4 new tyres this morning. Toyo proxies which I managed to get the whole set new from ebay for £160 delivered!

I have also carried out a noise test and my car is within the limits without having to put any restrictions in the exhaust.

I am hoping to book send my paperwork off this week for iva!

David

Old 21st June 2014, 11:59 AM

Hi David,
You car looks really splendid, no doubts your inspector well be pleased with it .
I have a question: how did you do or where did you by the material to make the 2 black stripes on your bodywork? I'd like to do the same kind of things on mine, but I don't know if there is another way than painting them (which I'd like to avoid)? Any supplier address, etc., you could give or recommend please?
Also, I will need to have these stripes made in a special colour (which I have the RAL number for). Do you think this is possible?
Thanks you.