Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > General discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 17th February 2015, 09:37 PM

hi there, been following your build as it as you are using same motor/ bike carb setup as i am, great build so far by the way. I hope you dont mind me asking as I noticed your Hand brake cable set up goes in from the rear, did you do that for any particular reason. It is a pain to position and did you have any issues getting it to seat properly against CP14 as the angle of the brkt would have been better if it was vertical position.
cheers
tony
Old 18th February 2015, 02:15 PM

Hi Tony, I can't remember why I put the bracket like that, I think it must have been a case of reading the book, welding it in prior to getting my handbrake cable and not having a problem fitting the cable once I eventually bought one.

SeriesLandy, I haven't had a chance to test it yet so I guess I'll need to see how it goes!

My Build Blog: http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=2736 - Last Update: 31st October 2020

Total Spent so far: Stopped counting
Old 28th August 2015, 01:43 PM

Well it's been a long time since I've posted on here! I got very close to finishing the car but decided in the end to cancel my IVA and rebook for early next year so I can get the most of the summer.

My plan to keep me going is to finish the car to a track ready condition, fit a tow bar to my tin top and then do a track day or 2 to give the car a good shake down prior to IVA. It should also spur me on to finish the remainder of the IVA required items!

I am currently in the middle of painting the car which is going quite well now that I've got to grips with it. All of my GRP panels except the bonnet have been etch primed, primed and I'm in the process of painting these red. There has been a lot of learning along the way and there will be a bit of work to get rid of a few paint defects like orange peel and a couple of sags. I am hoping to have all of my painting done by the end of September.

Once the car is painted there are only a couple of jobs like changing the coolant and oil, putting my racey steering wheel on and checking everything works the way it should. My plan now is to have a track day in the middle of November. I will try and get some more pictures up soon.

My Build Blog: http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=2736 - Last Update: 31st October 2020

Old 28th August 2015, 02:31 PM

Do you know what the rules are for track days and cars without MOT etc? I was looking into this too but wondered how far along my build had to be..
Thanks
Old 28th August 2015, 04:01 PM

Fuel tank vents have been placed up inside the roll bar,cant much higher than that.

If at first you dont succeed,avoid skydiving...

No parachute require to freefall,only if you want to do it twice.
Old 28th August 2015, 07:51 PM

Sounds good!

My Build Thread
Old 30th August 2015, 09:49 AM

Ben, I don't think there are any rules on how complete the car needs to be. My boss has a track only Caterham with no MOT, no handbrake and no lights. I think it's a case of as long as it looks safe and nothing is going to fall off I.e. It doesn't look like a shed then I feel it will be ok!

Old 30th August 2015, 11:35 AM

I agree I had a track car no tax test or insurance one seat only never had a problem gettinv it in on a track day
Old 11th October 2015, 07:24 PM

Well I have finally gotten round to taking a picture of my car now that a few panels are finished/nearly finished. My side panels are drying in the garage as I write this and my rear arches need a bit of sanding a polish up. The bonnet needs a quick sand to get rid of a bit of orange peel and then a polish, but the finish in the picture is the finish straight out of the gun.

I have to say I am pretty proud of myself for how the car is now looking!

I've also discovered that the head gasket in my engine has gone and my battery is now a dud which isn't really surprisingly as I have been abusing it while testing electrics. So next month I shall be buying a new battery and then doing a compression check on my engine and if that goes well then take the head off, get it skimmed, lap the valves and replace the valve stem seals. I know I can pick up a cheap engine but the pre-95 engines are getting pretty thin on the ground and I would like the lax emission rules when I get the car IVA'd. Plus I've always wanted to rebuild an engine .

I also realised I had my top wishbones on upside down when I made my cycle wing carriers meaning my cycle wings are no longer in the correct position, which is slightly annoying! However as I'll be putting it on the track first I'm not too fussed at the moment and come IVA time I shall sort them out.

Last edited by Tatey : 11th October 2015 at 07:28 PM.
Old 11th October 2015, 09:02 PM

Hi Simon,
It's cool to see you and your car are seeing the end of the tunnel! The car looks very nice in deed, it is a very neat built, and you can definitely be proud of yourself. And I'm pretty sure that once on the road, it is going to be an amazing car!
Don't try your engine too much, suspecting a head gasket failure, with the radiator on : I've ruined 2 radiators before I figured out the head gasket was dead on mine (I figured out that the compression from the cylinders was going into the cooling circuit, building up a pressure there that the radiator couldn't handle).
Good luck for the end, and keep us posted