Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > General discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 6th December 2010, 09:33 PM

Default Odd hammerite colours

Well i wanted to do my wishbones in hammerite ! And i wanted a funky colour looking at the hammerite range not going to happen. So off to b&q paint mixing station

Hi there mate ( with a small 250ml pot of white in my hand ) does that there mixing machine do hammerite ?

" erm i dunno ill look at the computer !"

First setting option hammerite at the bottom score !!!
The orange they had wasnt to my taste so out came the pigment and tge first shot was a disaster "pink"
Few doses later and we had the b&q orange i was after had to tip a bit of the raw white away to make room for pigment but we got there. The price was 7.98 per 250 ml pot + £1 per shot of pigment x6 so imagine my delight as he wiped the pot clean and wrote £4.00 on the top
Took me to the fro t desk rang it through the till

Who knows if it works or not got a test piece drying atm but what a nice gent !
Old 7th December 2010, 06:02 PM

we used to have a few colours of hamerite smooth where i used to work when i had to make up garding for the cnc's i used to maintain i would blend the few primery colours (black,white,yellow,red,blue) we had to get a shade that was close to what i wanted. had to make it up in one go mind
handy as hamerite is primer free quick drying and pritty much a one coat job

if you are wanting a simular thing why not find a local paint supplyer that can tint machine enamal to the colour you want or industrial paints are avable in most BS and RAL colours (standardised colours)

go and speak to your local paint supplyer and tell them what you want to do with the paint and how you plan to apply it and thay will be able to help you

i used to sell industrial paints when i was a welding supplys rep and delt with a co. called mannor paints thay did all sorts of paint even paints for hgv fleets
you may have a local supplyer or be able to buy direct look under metal or Commercial transport for types and specs

http://www.shipleypaint.co.uk/index2.php
Old 7th December 2010, 08:06 PM

thanks for the reply i already have a local supplier that is very good.

it was kind of an little experiment as i work outside their opening hours and cant get to them till friday. i have painted many cars in celly two pack etc and use them it was merely a logistical thing seeing as i cant get to them till friday. wanted to get them painted in the week so the wishbones were dry for the weekend and could be finally fitted to the chassis.

it seems to have dried fine but hasnt adheared as hammerite usually does. can either be down to me not degreasing the test piece (probable ) or the fact theres too much pigment in it now.

ive degreased the other side and it seems better. will see in the morning