Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Running gear
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 14th July 2015, 11:09 AM

Default Brake pipe routes

Hi guys,
Just about to start installing the brake pipes, having read through some other builds I see several methods of installation but I am a bit stuck on how many pipes I should run through the trans tunnel. I was planning individual pipes to both front wheel, one pipe from front to back with a 'tee' to split to rear wheels.
Is there any concerns to run the tee split at the rear as opposed to the front?
Old 14th July 2015, 12:25 PM

Thats what I have done. I got some brilliant clips for the transmission tunnel that holds two 8mm and one 5mm pipe so the fuel feed and return along with the brake pipe run together. I don't know if you have sourced flexible brake pipes yet but https://sites.google.com/site/hydraulicforkitcars/ is a good source and is run by another board member, Sylvain. (Vought)
Old 14th July 2015, 12:55 PM

Thanks Ian, so your running 1 5mm pipe from the front for brakes then splitting into 2 at the rear? and 2 8mm fuel pipes for feed and return.

I've already put some Ali sheet on the inside of the tunnel to fasten the pipes onto, I was just going to use the p clips with rubber inserts but the type you mention maybe better.
You got any links where you got them from?

Thanks again
Old 14th July 2015, 02:43 PM

Thats correct http://www.jetpress.com/Products.asp...eClips-Triple/ is the clip I've used. If you are using the Sierra rear uprights then Sylvian can have made ups ome flexi pipes with an angled bend on so you don't have clearance issues. see https://sites.google.com/site/hydrau...s/special-case (the orange uprights are on my car)
Old 14th July 2015, 02:53 PM

Thanks for the links, exactly what I should use. I am running discs on the rear but the flexis look ideal.
Old 14th July 2015, 06:52 PM

I've used the same clips as Ian - they are very good. Also 2 pipes to the front, one to the rear and split with a T piece... debated on a pressure reducer (I'm running discs), I guess I'll just have to see!

I welded on some tabs to the side of the drive tunnel and riveted an aluminium strip in position to hold the clips.
Old 17th July 2015, 04:59 PM

Hi,
I was away, and just read this thread. Thanks for the nice comments about the brake lines.
I stopped working for the company making the brake lines, so I have to check with them how we can manage further orders... not sure about that...

Neil, have you figured out how to route your rear lines?

As said above, front and rear circuit should be separated, and if you use the original donor master-cylinder, you have two ports at the front of the M/C for the front lines (one to the left front calliper, one to the front right calliper) and 1 port at the rear of the M/C for the rear lines. Then, this brake pipe/line should be split in 2 with a tee-piece.

Personally,
- I preferred routing the brake pipes/lines, on the upper tubes of the chassis as much as possible. They are more protected this way. But with this set-up, the brake fluid reservoir should be above the level of the highest point of the brake circuit (safety in case of a leak)
- I have welded the rear brake lines bracket on RS7/RS7a, I think it makes more sense than where the book says to weld them (closer to the rear brakes and above the rear top wishbones)
- I also put the tee piece directly on the left rear bulkhead fitting, so it is less pipes, fittings, clips, etc., as on the pictures below:

2014-03-22_17-46-53 by Sylvain ROIG, sur Flickr

2014-03-22_18-17-26 by Sylvain ROIG, sur Flickr

2014-03-22_18-17-42 by Sylvain ROIG, sur Flickr

Do not hesitate to contact me on my personal email if I can be of any help.

Thanks and good luck!
Old 17th July 2015, 05:22 PM

Thanks for the update, at the moment I have only temporarily put the pipes in. I am using copper tube through tunnel then into flexis. Your pics are great
Pleased you mentioned about the height, I would have fell foul on that one.
How did you raise it and pipe to pedal?
Old 17th July 2015, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilW View Post
How did you raise it and pipe to pedal?
I made a support in aluminium to put the reservoir on the bulkhead, and connected the reservoir to the M/C with low pressure brake fluid hose, clamps on the reservoir connections, and male/male hose connectors on the M/C ends.

Pictures will speak better than me
https://www.flickr.com/photos/994983...57643576951405

If you use a Sierra reservoir, I can send you the drawing of the support so you can print your own stencil if you want.

Cheers.
Old 19th July 2015, 07:48 PM

Great info, quick question about separating the resevoir. Does it just simply 'pull' off the m/c? And when you connect the male/male adaptor do they just push fit into the m/c?
Thanks