Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Bodywork and interior
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 24th August 2009, 11:19 PM

Just my £1's worth.

I have yet to see a GRP product that comes even close to the quality of Tritons ones.

I saw one of the Major brand bonnets recently. The RRP was in the region of £360 Personally I thought the product was crap !!??

The cost of materials has gone through the roof the last few years,

Surely no one could begrudge Mark a modest living for his efforts

www.roadster-builders.co.uk
Old 24th August 2009, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonzo View Post
Just my £1's worth.

I have yet to see a GRP product that comes even close to the quality of Tritons ones.

I saw one of the Major brand bonnets recently. The RRP was in the region of £360 Personally I thought the product was crap !!??

The cost of materials has gone through the roof the last few years,

Surely no one could begrudge Mark a modest living for his efforts
Ronnie
Are you kidding .............Mark is richer than Croesus
he only does GRP stuff to fund his alternative lifestyle and stop him becoming bored...........
he,s now joining the idle rich surfing brigade just for kicks
cheers les g
Old 24th August 2009, 11:57 PM

As I am about ready to order my first batch of parts, I'm saying nowt !!??

You know they'll end up Pink

Be up to annoy you this week Mark

www.roadster-builders.co.uk
Old 25th August 2009, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonzo View Post
As I am about ready to order my first batch of parts, I'm saying nowt !!??

You know they'll end up Pink

Be up to annoy you this week Mark
pink with black wings

sweeeeeeeet made by Bassetts i believe

andy
Old 25th August 2009, 09:41 AM
Super Moderator

at the end of the day it all depends on how much spare time you have and how much money your willing to spend.

yes you can spend £85 on a robin hood nose and make it fit but you will prob spend a week cocking around chopping it up to get it to fit.

sometimes its worth spending that little bit extra not to have all the messing about.

to be honest by the time you have spent £30 on resin and matting to sort out the choped up one, then £15 on filler then had it all painted up to look nice it works out more expensive than the triton nose cone. that is unless you already have some spare resin and matting from another job.

yes the triton one is £50 more but you can order it have it delivered and bolt it straight on no fuss.
Old 25th August 2009, 11:56 AM

Default good to have some alternatives

Surely, it would be good to have some alternatives to the present single supplier.
But the quality of the parts made by Fabbyglass (I bought nose cone, scuttle and wheel arches) is superb.

So who is going to offer similar things preferably at a lower price ??
And who is willing to try out if the parts are up to standard ???
Old 25th August 2009, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshG View Post
at the end of the day it all depends on how much spare time you have and how much money your willing to spend.
I agree, but by virtue of the Haynes Roadster, it does rather indicate I have more time than money .... or I'd have a MK etc. All I'm saying is when someone asks for advice on another manufacturer, lets give that advice, rather than ignore the question and sing the praises of Triton products.

I'm made to feel that by discussing other suppliers is taboo and is somehow taken as a slight to Fabby. All I want to know is do MK indy (and other suppliers) make compatible body panels.
Old 25th August 2009, 05:17 PM

there is nothing wrong at all in discussing alternative suppliers of the various parts to build a Roadster, i suppose also that parts that are available elsewhere that are of the "universal" type of part, ie steering racks/brake lines etc then they can be sourced from almost any motor factors,

as for the bodywork, then there is a "slight" purpose of being directed to Triton & thats purely due to the fact that fabby,s products are made to measure for the Roadster,
as Ash has said it depends on your time/abilty to modify other suppliers products to make fit the Roadster.

Until another company starts making bodykits purely for the Roadster then Triton are the obvious choice of supplier if you don,t want to make your body.

also tho i would like to add that i think Fabby deserves a bit of support for his products, who else has put the effort into making good quality bodywork solely for the Roadster?
fabby is usually the first to say that nobody that is building a Roadster HAS to buy his kits, but come on guys, his kit is good stuff, he,s on the forum & is a keen supporter of the Roadster, thats my personal view & not intended to be a starting point of a heated discussion

cheers
andy

ps, & no i,m not on commission from Triton, i,ve never even met Mark yet
Old 25th August 2009, 06:38 PM
Super Moderator

i think the bias is towards reccomending fabby because he makes bloody good bodywork at a bloody good price. i dont think it has anything to do with the fact that he is everyones mate. your comparing bottom of the market low quality grp rubbish from robin hood with top of the market grp from fabby. any robin hood grp i have ever seen has allways been paper thin.

have a look at the price for westfield, caterham, mnr, mk grp for comparison then triton wont seem so expensive.

there are hundreds of places that will supply you a nose cone. i have seen one that someone got from gts and it was all wonkey and crap although it was £30 cheeper and half the thickness.

mk used to supply the nose cones for the haynes but i believe they have stoped because fabby undercut and and out sold them.

so basically your only choice is gts or fabby. or buy something and modify it.

to be quite frank.

Mark (fabby) has cornered the market and fair play to him for that. he could charge a lot more than he does and prob still sell just as much of it.

if he sold everything he makes for £50 less than he does now i doubt he would sell any more and there would still be people moaning about the cost regardless.

at the end of the day the price is the price you either pay it or dont have it.
Old 25th August 2009, 07:05 PM

I am not knocking what is obviously a fine product and we have been down the "you get what you pay for " route,but I am convinced Andy is Fabby's offspring.

Quality costs and if you make cheap stuff that's what you get.

I am on Fabby's side all day long the guy is a star.

Last edited by flyerncle : 25th August 2009 at 07:09 PM.