Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Engine/transmission
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 20th October 2009, 06:05 PM

You didn't mark them !
The piston and conrod fit a certain way in the block facing the front and thats what I meant so mark them front and 1 2 3 4, find out what size they are and get new rings and shells plus the center thrust's. To clean out the grooves break one piston ring from each of the three grooves and use the good end to remove the carbon. Check the top of the bore and see if there is a lip on it (black carbonised ring at the top)if this is large the block may need reboring. If not a glazebuster will do the trick ( yes I have one)!
Pop down on Wednesday and practice your reversing, I have reveresd artic's in to smaller spaces !!!!
Old 20th October 2009, 06:41 PM

I've just been out and taken a couple of pics of the bores, im not sure how large the lip needs to be to be large:

Oh and i got this engine chucked in for free with my donor parts, so if it turns out to be a dud, then its not too much of a worry to me, as long as i can get some use or knowledge out of it im happy

My Build Blog: http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=2736 - Last Update: 31st October 2020

Total Spent so far: Stopped counting
Old 20th October 2009, 06:52 PM

"Chucked" is the word, then again "Slid" is another one that springs to mind when we got it out of my van

shorty
Old 20th October 2009, 06:59 PM
Super Moderator

the bores look good. if you can take pictures as good as those of all the shells journals bearings etc we should be able to give some advice although its never as good as inspecting the engine first hand.

it may be worth getting a sierra book that covers the cvh as it tells you what size all the parts should be to fractions of a mm. all you have to do then is look for damage and measure everything to check wear.
Old 20th October 2009, 07:07 PM

I'll take a pic of all of the other little bits either tonight, or most likely tomorrow afternoon. Cheers for all of your help, i've learnt quite a lot already

Oh and i've got a digital copy of the sierra book which covers the cvh, so ill have a look at the measurements and see if i find any problems.

My Build Blog: http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=2736 - Last Update: 31st October 2020

Last edited by Tatey : 20th October 2009 at 07:10 PM.
Old 21st October 2009, 06:21 PM

I agree with Ash it's looking good,bring a piston with you and a main and big end shell and we will see what they are like.
Old 21st October 2009, 06:33 PM

Just to make sure i bring the right stuff tomorrow. The big end bearing is the two halves from the con rod and the main bearing is the one which acts against the crank shaft?

Oh and flyerncle we need to retrieve one of my lost sockets from when i tried to take out the spark plugs

And....i haven't managed to remove the camshaft sprocket from the head and the plastic hit which goes behind that. Lets just say engines aren't my strong point at the moment

Old 23rd October 2009, 05:55 PM

I'd just like the thank Paul for his help again on Thurs.

Paul said he thinks the engine had blown its head gasket, so the head will need to be skimmed, so thats another thing on the list of things to do .

I've now managed to take off the flywheel, exhaust manifold (i found other eight bolts holding it on ), rockers + cam followers (i think) and take out the crank shaft.

Im now just struggling with taking the crank pulley off of the crank, getting the camshaft pulley off and i need to buy myself a valve spring removal tool, but that will be once i get myself a new job.

So i've now started derusting the disk brakes and i think ill be doing some more work on my chassis over the weekend. Then once i can afford it i'll be buying some gunk and other cleaning products to start cleaning up the engine.

I would take some more pics but i've had to send my phone off for repair, and thats also my camera so it'll be a week or 2 before i get it back

Old 23rd October 2009, 10:29 PM

I'll try n get a photo of the tool I made to compress the springs on a CVH head. Basically a fork that fit over the valve spring and rocker stud. Turning a nut onto the rocker stud compresses the spring.

Edit: When I say try n get a photo, I need to find the tool(not used it in years) and hope the crappy phone camera does the job. I really miss my camera that drowned.
Old 23rd October 2009, 11:10 PM

Getting the valves out is no problem just use the plug socket over the valve cap and a sensible tap with a hammer will pop the collets out just make sure you dont lose them.
Like I said it's no problem and I will give you a hand with reversing if you like !

Spacial awareness Tatey !!!!!!!
Put a piece of wood inside the block against the crank and use it to stop it turnng and loosen the pulley bolt.

Last edited by flyerncle : 23rd October 2009 at 11:12 PM.