Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Running gear
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 4th December 2010, 02:13 PM

I spoke to the examiner that tested Jannes roadster & asked him for his input but he simply said he couldnt remember Janne or his roadster & that I should just do as the other examiner asked & redo the front suspension ,so i told him I think it makes no sence to ask an unexperienced new builder to ignore a well known & proven book for no good reason. I think its totaly unprofesional of them to OK one build & make a big deal of another completely identicle build
Samy
Old 5th December 2010, 03:40 PM

Does anyone know what the angles on the dampers in relation to the lower wishbones are (front/back)? what would be a good way to measure that? I need to find out what the angles are before i speak to my tester again ,he would like to see them between 20-30 degr & max 35degr but i´m not going down without a fight (very unswedesh) but i got to do what i can.
thanks/samy
Old 5th December 2010, 08:42 PM

Sorry this does not answer the question above but in england you could go over the head/bypass the tester and appeal to the government department VOSA that deals with the system here, if you believe you are getting a hard time from them and it definately looks like it, can you do the same.

If at first you dont succeed,avoid skydiving...

No parachute require to freefall,only if you want to do it twice.
Old 5th December 2010, 09:13 PM

This has realy been very stressful for me & that is exactly what this build should not be I´m going to have a talk with my tester in the morning & try my best to persuade him to change his mind. I´ll let you know how it goes.
thanks
Samy
Old 6th December 2010, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squbti View Post
Does anyone know what the angles on the dampers in relation to the lower wishbones are (front/back)? what would be a good way to measure that? I need to find out what the angles are before i speak to my tester again ,he would like to see them between 20-30 degr & max 35degr but i´m not going down without a fight (very unswedesh) but i got to do what i can.
thanks/samy
Heres http://web.zone.ee/mopple/Haynes/Roadsteri%20koost.PDF my Solidworks drawing of Roadster chassis with wishbones attached.
Both lower wishbones are horizontal and rear suspension has 0,5 deg neg camber.
Why must be the damper angles be so small according to your tester? With smaller angles damping and spring rates must be bigger to achieve the same resultants as per default design.

Madis
Old 6th December 2010, 05:35 PM

Hi Madis, thanks for the help. Your drawings are great & very helpfull i hope you dont mind if i save them . I dont know much about how the dampers work & at what angles they work best but i´m trying to find out & learn all i can.
Here´s what the swedesh car builders orginisation have to say:-
*Too litle angle makes the springs weeker or have less resistance & could result in "damper bind"...

*Same thing can hapen if damper angle is too big & a biger & stronger spring will be needed, also the damper movements become very small ...

So they simly recomend 20-30 deg & max35 deg. The roadster has acording to the drawings & the measurements i made 42 in the front & 45 in the back & from what i´ve read on this forum that works great for the roadster.
From what i´ve seen on the web it seems most super sevens have more or less the same angles, but why & how that works I have no idea so if any one out there could explain that it would be great
cheers
samy
Old 6th December 2010, 05:37 PM

Good luck Samy.

Old 6th December 2010, 05:49 PM

Thanks fly, I spoke to the tester this morning & simply told him I would rather not change anything as far as the damper angles & he said I could do that & that he would make a decision after the test drive so I hope I dont have to eat my words & that my roadster kicks ass so please tell me it will....
chers
samy
Old 6th December 2010, 06:06 PM

Rock and Roll Samy all the ones i have been in do so why should yours be different.

Good luck.

Old 6th December 2010, 07:51 PM

I have only driven mine round a roundabout and back up my drive but I was very surprised at how quickly it went round the roundabout . These cars do handle well from what I have seen so if he is saying that he will pass it if it handles ok I think you will be fine. There are some videos on you tube that seem to show them handling OK as well. Hope you get it sorted.
Enoch.