Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Donor cars
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 15th August 2013, 11:45 PM

t5 research in progress. thanks for the info!! did not realise the mt75 was fixed bellhousi coukd have been an expensive error. does the t5 have a removable bell housing? or can u get longer shafts made to accommodate a plate with the different patterns on? or is t5 the same as the t9 regarding bellhousings?

anyone want to give me a cossie???...... anyone........ <tumble weed>

nick
Old 16th August 2013, 12:18 AM
Super Moderator

T5 is one of the few boxes that ford UK bought in rather than manufacturing.

The T5 comes in a number of guises and is probably one of the best supported boxes in performance circles worldwide. Borgwarner sold it of to tremec. t56 is the 6 speed version.

TT

Build Thread

Man Cave Mantiques

Cecil Street Auto Repairs Garage Carlisle

Build Cost £4181.65 - Last - Wheel Cylinders
Old 16th August 2013, 10:34 AM

do u know what other vehicles it came in? or is it just ford? and if I use the t5 box which I see arent too expensive and find the cossie diff. is the prop and drive shafts the same throughout the sierra range? looking at flea bay, seems that anything with cosworth cost ten times more. is this because its all uprated? or just the name.

now need to work out if uprating a standard diff with lsd will be cheaper/stronger than a stardard cossie diff which I think already has the lsd built in.

thanks for your help. early stages. but want to have a plan of what I building and before I start tacking metal together.
Old 16th August 2013, 10:40 AM

rover 75 zzt has the t56. thats where my money is on gettong a cheaper box. (dreams of a 6 speed box rated at 450nm) not even pod would break it :0)
Old 16th August 2013, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by locost-turbo View Post
rover 75 zzt has the t56. thats where my money is on gettong a cheaper box. (dreams of a 6 speed box rated at 450nm) not even pod would break it :0)
Rover 75 is FWD, only the V8 version was RWD and they are as rare as hens teeth.
Old 16th August 2013, 06:07 PM

some tvr's had a t5, cozzies had them
Old 16th August 2013, 09:45 PM

omg. seems the usa is the place to get them. seem common as muck. will be doing further research. but you can get them for 100usd. 70 pounds!. this could fund my build. wonder how many types of t5 there is. bonus is they are loads of gm patten which will fit straight onto the saab. will feed back.
Old 16th August 2013, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by locost-turbo View Post
omg. seems the usa is the place to get them. seem common as muck. will be doing further research. but you can get them for 100usd. 70 pounds!. this could fund my build. wonder how many types of t5 there is. bonus is they are loads of gm patten which will fit straight onto the saab. will feed back.
Be careful on the gm patterns, they have about 5. There is a list and description somewhere on the Internet, but the one you need is something like European pattern.

I believe someone on UK Saabs has posted up links and explanations.
Old 16th August 2013, 10:12 PM

if I get a uk t5 I will need new bellhousing or adapter plate at minimum. but if I could get one that fits ill be quids in. just have to harrass my friend in the usaf. as they get stuff shipped over for free. not sure if he could stretch to a gearbox though. but worth a shot. not sure on ratios though. but I guess a v8 box should be strong enough for me. just need to get the right codes. seems to be several different t5's.
Old 16th August 2013, 10:21 PM

any idea on the t5 in the cossie? should start 1352 - *??

found all ratios. some have short bell housings (room for an ally plate to change bolt pattern) guess I just need to get a longer input shaft. but its gotta be cheaper than the uk prices.