Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Engine/transmission
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 4th July 2012, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deezee View Post
That inlet manifold looks a little out of place of the old block and test chassis! What the plan for the rest of the build? Be interested in seeing what gearbox and rear drive your going to fit in. Be nice to see some alternatives coming through for the Haynes.
I will drag out what I have gathered and take some snaps. Many shiney bits

Bob

The cave http://s1116.photobucket.com/user/my...deshow/mancave

The build http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=12669
Old 5th July 2012, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonzo View Post
Seriously though, that engine is going to look awesome in a Roadster.
But why?
Its a nice looking engine, will probably make serious HP and perfect for a Cobra, but a Seven...
Its heavy - Sevens are all about handling and being nimble - and how would you put that power on the road? You will end up with a car that would not be enjoyable to drive, everytime you put the hammer down, it would break away at the stern, more so in bends

Im not a profit of doom, but is it not better to have a sharp handling car with just enough power so you can drive it flat out and on the limits?

I have a problem myself in this regard - my ride's (nearly completed) engine is a 3SGTE (weights only a little more than a 4AGE) that makes about 190kw (255hp odd) and I already considering turning the factory boost level down from about 9psi to about 6 - 7 psi. A chap in NZ has the same motor in his chariot and actually got wheel spin in 5th gear on the track - and that is frightening

Something to ponder about. A Caterham R400 has about 210hp and goes like a bat out of hell and probably the closest thing to motoring nirvana.

Wynand
http://5psi.net
Old 5th July 2012, 08:15 AM

The reason I am using the ford 302 is because its a real lightweight. I have weighed it against a pinto [dry] and its about 3kg heavier. If I shove ali heads on it becomes about 15 kg lighter. The power thing is a non issue because there is a throttle pedal fitted not an on/off switch. A guy up the road took me for a spin in a caterham that was making about 300hp and there were no wheelspin problems , it just dug in and f@@ked off. This has been covered before ,yes if you stamp on the loud pedal it wil swap ends but that is true of any high hp car. That car of yours will not be a problem just get used to it slowly.

Bob

edit from hp books

A very compact design, the small block engine utilizes a thin-wall block casting not extended below the crankshaft centerline. Expanded to include the 260, 289, and 302, the engine family has provided power for most of Fords model lineup. Cylinder bore spacing is 4.38", the same as the Cleveland family. The small block is externally one of the smallest V-8 engines made, and total engine weight is around 460 lbs. The 289 was produced from 1963 to 1968.

In 1963 Ford released the 289 High Performance
which produced 271 BHP @ 6000 RPM.

The cave http://s1116.photobucket.com/user/my...deshow/mancave

The build http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=12669

Last edited by robo : 5th July 2012 at 09:06 PM.
Old 5th July 2012, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynand View Post

But why?
Quite simple really, because you can.
It will look the part & sound great.
Personally, I am a huge fan of the sound of a well tuned V8 engine.

I read lots of threads & posts on the subject of track performance.
This is fantastic if that is what floats your boat & are building a track orientated car.
So in that respect, I can see where you are coming from.

Me, I probably fall into a very small minority of builders.
I am not a very aggressive driver & do not have a craving for ultimate speed or performance.
For me the build is all about owning a 7'alike that I can potter about in on a nice sunny day.

That said, I do want enough power to be able to P**s on the fireworks of the local chav in his hot hatch
Although I am not a nippy driver, I am certainly not afraid of the loud pedal.

Bob is no stranger to the kit car world & I am sure he has done the maths.

One thing is for sure, his build will turn out to be a joy to behold.

www.roadster-builders.co.uk
Old 5th July 2012, 11:41 AM

Having just spent a blissful weekend at Goodwood for the Festival of Speed watching machinery with ridiculous BHP figures thundering up the hill I say why not?
will finish this comment later as a customer has just turned up.

D.
Old 5th July 2012, 01:06 PM

And why not indeed he I was not to tight and lazy I would have looked into using a v8 thunder maker in my build but since I am so tight and lazy I am using the mx5 parts
Old 5th July 2012, 07:53 PM

Right I can now devote some time to this reply . If Robbo wants to use a V8 then I say go ahead, knock yourself out and do it. Weight issues? What weight issues? As Robbo has already said the difference between his small block V8 and a pinto is minimal and if the V8 is well back in the engine bay the overall effect on handling will be minimal. Too much power? F1 cars rev to 18,000RPM and put out C750BHP in a chassis that breaks the scales at around 650KGs, they manage quite well albeit with very good drivers. So why does a couple of hundred BHP in a 600KG(ish) give cause for concern? As Robbo said the throttle pedal he is using is a VARIABLE control not an on/off switch.

My build was recently referred to as a "barge" (conveniently edited later to be less offensive although no apology was ever forthcoming) by someone who lasted nearly six months as a supplier of chassis and body components. My build will weigh around 750KGs when finished (how many of you have any idea what yours will weigh, honestly?) but will have around 225BHP and 200+ ft/lbs of torque from low down (around 2000RPM) with a pretty flat torque curve. This means it will be lighter than almost all standard production cars and pull like a train! If I get the suspension geometry right it might even go round a corner or two .

D.
Old 5th July 2012, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonzo View Post

I read lots of threads & posts on the subject of track performance.
This is fantastic if that is what floats your boat & are building a track orientated car.
So in that respect, I can see where you are coming from.
Actually, Im not a racing nut and never interest in it other than as a spectator. My car is purely a daily road car - in SA we have the weather to really enjoy it mostly all year round and in my town, we do not have traffic lights/robots but about 39 double lane roundabouts/traffic circles which will be fun
We have three racing classes for sevens and even in the unlimited my car would not be allowed should I choose to race it because it is turbo charged....

The thing with lots of power is getting on the road with the 15x195x50 tires used (common size in SA) and a Seven does not have super wide slicks such as F1 cars.
I had a ride recently in a Seven with a 1.6lt 4AGE turbocharged engine and is really a beast when that turbo push kicks in with a bang. Actually have to adapt driving style to keep it off the boil in a circle otherwise the back just steps out touching the loud pedal when the boost steps in. But in a straight line its better than sex and the acceleration beyond believe - and will easily produce wheel spin in 3rd gear when putting the hammer down. A late model M3 tried us on a sprint start and was demoralized after being trashed big time to 160kph when we discovered we racing ourselves....

Is the pinto engine the 4 cyl ohc (1.6 & 2.0lt) Sierra engine since Im not on par with that motor and cannot recall a Ford in SA ever using that but stand to be corrected unless it is the 4 cyl Sierra lump. We did had a Sierra with a 2.3lt V6 engine as well discounting the V8 Perana's produced locally with the 5.0lt 302 motor.
I know the Rover 3.5 V8 is a light weight engine due to its ally everything but honestly did not expect the 302 being that light as claimed.

I did not meant to be rude in anyway with my previous post, its just I like a Seven as its meant to be; a light small engined car with handling second to none.
My car weigh 30kg over estimated build target weight Total the scale at 615kgs.

Edit: Perhaps at 56 Im getting to old for this stuff. Maybe driving a diesel car for years now clouded my senses.

Wynand
http://5psi.net

Last edited by Wynand : 5th July 2012 at 09:19 PM.
Old 5th July 2012, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynand View Post
But why?
Its a nice looking engine, will probably make serious HP and perfect for a Cobra, but a Seven...
Its heavy - Sevens are all about handling and being nimble - and how would you put that power on the road? You will end up with a car that would not be enjoyable to drive, everytime you put the hammer down, it would break away at the stern, more so in bends

Im not a profit of doom, but is it not better to have a sharp handling car with just enough power so you can drive it flat out and on the limits?

I have a problem myself in this regard - my ride's (nearly completed) engine is a 3SGTE (weights only a little more than a 4AGE) that makes about 190kw (255hp odd) and I already considering turning the factory boost level down from about 9psi to about 6 - 7 psi. A chap in NZ has the same motor in his chariot and actually got wheel spin in 5th gear on the track - and that is frightening

Something to ponder about. A Caterham R400 has about 210hp and goes like a bat out of hell and probably the closest thing to motoring nirvana.

Seriously... The thought of having a big engine in a light car worries you......?????!!!!
. The thought of a few hundred BHP in a lighter than butterfly fart car, makes me do a sex wee, I come from a bike background, where high bhp and low weight rule(along with good torque) ... As we say, the throttle twists both ways.... If I am able ( once fully employed) to build a car that puts out at least 200bhp/ ton ,then I will be a happy man.... Rear wheel spinning up, back end sliding....yehhhhhhhh .... I do that on my supermoto, and that's only got 52.3 bhp ... (does weigh less than one of my dumps though) ....

I would love to stick a big v whatever in my car, my biggest problem at the moment is petrol prices.... Been looking at the GKD (might be the wrong name) chassis for using an m3, and that looks superb, it's more running costs that bother me,
Old 5th July 2012, 09:11 PM

isn't variety the spice of life? - I'm sticking with my V8 because I both want to and I can.

My understanding of the haynes/locost type of car is that you start off with a basic concept and then build it to your own spec.

I realise my choice is going to lead to some difficulties but this is all part of the challenge.

I'm with Bob, V8s Rule