Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > SVA/Legal
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 26th May 2009, 09:37 PM

That sort of thing gets you mega grief and the system should stop you from testing it,message goes something like "you are not authourised to test this class of vehicle " same thing if you try to test class 5/mini buses over certain seats and 3500kgs.
Minefield !

Something worth noteing,new one man test lanes may have a brake roller tester that will give you axle weights,Tecalmit is one.

Last edited by flyerncle : 26th May 2009 at 09:49 PM. Reason: Thought of something usefull !
Old 26th May 2009, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyerncle View Post
Something worth noteing,new one man test lanes may have a brake roller tester that will give you axle weights,Tecalmit is one.
That is interesting, could be very handy

I bet they cost a whole mountain of beer tokens

www.roadster-builders.co.uk
Old 27th May 2009, 02:18 PM

Red face Trade Plates

Hi
One thing I need to warn everyone going to IVA on a trade plate, If you did this then it is no longer an Ammeture build !!!

Axle

Last edited by axle : 28th May 2009 at 09:08 AM.
Old 27th May 2009, 06:54 PM

Miserable bar stewards all of them !!!!!

About 15-20 K Ronnie.
Old 27th May 2009, 10:34 PM

HI
I drove my car with insurance on the VIN number to MOT. To the nearest station that could dill with my car.
This means that you can get it on to the lift and not drop in to the rolling road for the brakes with out getting stuck. I believe that you need to drive your car as much as you can be for IVA/ SVA so going to mot can be a good test for the car. I had coved over 100 miles be for SVA. I drove to SVA and to the DVLA inspection. You just need to have it all pre booked just in cast PC plod gives you pull.
Old 28th May 2009, 12:59 PM

Red face IVA Hopes

Hi Frank
This is getting to be interesting, you are saying after the MOT you can drive the car as much as you want. before the IVA so
1)Is there not a time limit?
2)So how about the number plate, and what do you tell boys in blue?
3) please clarify this I thought the only reason you make a trip to the MOT station is to use their rolling road, to test your brakes, as you are going for the IVA, MOT is not required?
4)Is the annual MOT still needed after IVA or is it after three years?

Regards AXLE
Old 28th May 2009, 08:33 PM

To and from the MOT is as far as you should be going without tax and reg plates.
I think Frankie means if poss you should be driving it (legally) as much as possible to test it prior to SVA/IVA and the use of trade plates in this situation I think should be ok,it is not possible to obtain them without motor trade insurance so you would be covered under that policy to drive an unregistered vehicle as most car dealers do.
I think we are getting confused as to the use of brake rollers to test the Roadster brakes.
All you will get is an idea of brake force per wheel in kgs,as previously suggested newer ATL stations may have the facility to give the weight of the axles at the time of test(Tecalamit Rollers do)Also gives idea of total weight of car.
I may be wrong, but,the IVA/SVA is not an MOT test and is a test to a standard for road use regarding compliance with RTA,sharp edges,lighting,noise and the like and is specific to the individual vehicle, hence the name.
Confused ? Me too!

Last edited by flyerncle : 28th May 2009 at 08:42 PM. Reason: Another brain storm
Old 28th May 2009, 10:35 PM

flyerncle, I have to try and make things clear here as this thread is getting out of hand with input from people that just don't know.
First of you cannot book an MOT on a chassis number that has not been registered yet and is not in the MOT/DVLA computer system, it's illegal.
If you did book an MOT on a chassis number made up by you and it was accepted then you would have to MOT it every year from then and not in 3 years time after IVA, also there is a very good chance they will set the wrong emissions lumbering you with them for the life of the vehicle.
You can insure the vehicle on a chassis number made up by you as long as it complies with DVLA VIN number pattern and drive it to IVA, and back unless VOSA declare the vehicle unroadworthy.
DVLA do not allow you to drive to the build up inspection so you should trailer it.

If you play about with the rules prepaired to get burned, it could take all the fun out of passing IVA with months of DVLA wrangling, it can be bad enough as it is without trying to shortcut the proper process, and if they get wind of it you may never get the car properly registered.
Old 28th May 2009, 11:03 PM

So bottom line is befriend someone with a car trailer and you'll be sorted?
Old 28th May 2009, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatey View Post
So bottom line is befriend someone with a car trailer and you'll be sorted?
that seems the safest route to avoid any hassle.
right...... anyone got a car trailer?

andy