Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Engine/transmission
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 19th June 2010, 03:34 PM

Default Anyone got a DOHC inlet Manifold??

Hi peeps, after much messing about with my inlet manifold and still not getting anywhere I am trying to source a replacement. So if anybody has an inlet manifold for a 2.0 DOHC I4 engine I would love to hear from you. I tried to modify mine but have just ballsed it up totally so I want to go back to a standard one and make a bigger bonnet bulge to cover it. Not the way I wanted to go but I guess compromises have to be made sometimes.
Thanks in advance,
A defeated Enoch....
Old 19th June 2010, 07:56 PM

Not sure if you've seen this thread: http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=4447

Looks like such a modifcation is possible, hopefully your are able to salvage the one you have
Old 19th June 2010, 09:24 PM

Have you seen this look here at page 2 halfway down i posted a pic ages ago forum wont let me add it to this post
Ray

Last edited by RAYLEE29 : 19th June 2010 at 09:28 PM.
Old 19th June 2010, 09:36 PM

Thanks for your input guys, I guess I have just run out of talent
I tried to duraweld an alli box on to my cut down manifold but could not get enough heat in to it. I guess tig welding is an alternative but I would need to by some bits to upgrade my welder and then learn how to tig weld. I think using an original and redesigning the bonnet looks favourite at the moment, at least the runners would then be of the correct length. I hope I can find a replacement manifold without too much trouble.
Best and all that,
Dave.
Old 19th June 2010, 10:24 PM

I am hopefully picking up a complete dohc soon, I may go carbs, so if I do you can have my efi set up..... not sure on this, but thought I would give you a small glimmer of hope
Old 19th June 2010, 10:29 PM

I was hoping that you would succeed with the duraweld plan. I'm going to have the same height issue because my donor engine is also the DOHC. I think I might have to befriend someone who has a TIG welder or live with either a hole in the bonnet or a bulge.

On the other hand, I guess Ford made it that way for a reason. I doubt you would get as good air flow through a modified one by just hacking it in half and sticking it back together.
Old 20th June 2010, 07:32 AM

Thanks headshot, let me know if it does become available, I will post here if I get one in the mean time.
Dstanley, the runners were made that long to improve bottom end torque - so I am told. I don't think it would make a great deal of difference on a car as light as the roadster. If you can tig weld or know someone that can then I would think it's still a good way to go.
Enoch
Old 20th June 2010, 09:31 AM

Enoch, I have a complete engine with injection that you can have for a modest amount but obviously dont know how far away you are? also dont really want to split it up to sell just the inlet. pm me if interested
Ray

Last edited by RAYLEE29 : 20th June 2010 at 09:35 AM.
Old 20th June 2010, 11:01 AM

Hi Dave
Just got my EFI machined, I milled the inlet down to 80mm off the manifold deck, next I plan on milling the port riser output from the plenum to about 50mm from the body of the plenum.

Once this is complete I then intend to turn the plenum so throttle body is facing rear and get someone local to TIG weld some joining tubes...

That's the theory! As mentioned before I'll probably balls it up though and be putting a thread up here in a few weeks asking for an inlet as well

Have you tried the Sierra Owners forum? I'm sure someone on there will have one?

Matt
Old 21st June 2010, 12:22 PM

Well I have got a replacement manifold, should be arriving in the next couple of days. I will most likely be going for a different engine later on so I guess I can live with a compromise for now.
Best to all and all that,
Enoch