Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Engine/transmission
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 28th February 2011, 08:59 PM

Default clutch and basket for cbr1100 £445!

hi guys,

I took my engine down to the local motorbike shop the other day to get it serviced and looked at. Im no expert with bike engines as ive only ever dealt with single cylinder motocross/enduro bikes so i thought it best to get it checked by an expert. The feedback i got today is that the motor is in excellent overall condition, however the clutch basket is aparently badly worn and it was advise that i replace the plates with an uprated kit due to the heavier loads the clutch will be subjected to. The clutch plates are quoted at £95 but a replacement basket will be £350! I havent had a look at the basket yet but in my motocross days we used to file and polish the grooves out of the basket where the plates sit to get more life. If its buggered il get a new one. Does anyone know a cheap supplier, as £350 seems a bit steep to me?

On the plus side I spent today finishing off the mondeo steering column, got it all woking and slapped some old wheels on. I had my first flint stones style test drive and got my missus to push me as fast as she could. It seemed to self centre ok at running pace. Stopping was an issue with no brakes tho (pretty steep drive)

Regards,
nathan

Old 28th February 2011, 09:40 PM

Oh, your poor Mrs she must love you to bits

Must,ve been a hard Flintstone drive with those shocks

I would say the quote for the clutch basket is erring on the "dealer/bike shop" trying to make a fast buck.

By all means, change the plates..£95 is not a bad price, but do the old trick of filing the basket edges smooth again, we used to do this to our race bikes, & they were ridden Hard, very hard.

Its a Honda, I,d be surprised if the basket is too far gone that it can,t be used at all, even if it does "go" they are easy to change,

If it were me, if the clutch plates have a little left on them & there is no Blueing of the plates, I,d use it until it gives up totally.

cheers
andy
Old 28th February 2011, 09:57 PM

thanks andy, i thought it was a bit on the expensive side, so il have a go at polishing it if its not too far gone. To be fair i thought the clutch was really smooth when i test rode the bike. Il buy a set of plates like you say, is there any particular brand or should i just get honda oe jobbies.

P.S the ride was lovely and smooth- none of the tyres have any air in them, must be why the missus was too tired too cook tonight!
Old 28th February 2011, 10:26 PM

Try this supplier http://www.davidsilverspares.co.uk/

I,d stick to genuine Honda parts, maybe cost a little more, but worth it in my opinion.

When you had the engine checked over.....Are you SURE they took the side casings off to check the clutch , me being a cynic....I,d be surprised....but hey thats me

cheers
andy
Old 5th March 2011, 11:10 PM

ebc plates and uprated springs would be my choice