Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Running gear
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 17th July 2010, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3GE Components View Post
Obvioulsy I can't comment on other companies bush kits, only our own.

We produce our own kits, we don't buy from other companies and add a mark up. We use stainless steel for the crush tubes not mild steel, these are machined from solid bar on a CNC lathe to high tolerances. We don't use thick wall tube cut on a band saw (I've seen this done)

Yes, we are a bit more, but that's because of the cost of the materials and method of manufacture that we use.

For comparison I've listed everyones bush kits below along with a picture of their product, prices include VAT & postage....

GTS.....£64.63

Rally Design....£96.50

Saturn Sports Cars....£108

3GE Components....£112.70

Kind regards

John
Quite one of the most ambiguous postings I have seen on a forum....first of all the photos shown of 8 bushes are all of Rally Design bushes lifted from our website....the copyright of such photos is held by the photographer and permission to reproduce has to be sought from the owner,to my knowledge 3GE components has not sought such permission....one of the leading Rally sport catalogue companies ignored this ownership and once Rally Design and Demon Tweeks lawyers had finished their action the settlement was over £80k,be warned there is often more value in photos and text than the product it shows. OK your photo shows only 8 Rally Design bushes against 22 3GE bushes yet your prices seem to suggest otherwise. Looking on the 3GE Website 22 bushes are listed at £104.70, £4.76 each,the Rally Design Website PB121,Locost bush are £28.00 set 8,£3.50 each....Rally Design is cheaper.
Also our crush tubes are 316 stainless,CNC hi-speed machined,also note that the Polybushes are injection moulded using the correct Shore hardness of polyurethane. Before the get what you pay for brigade come rolling in....the reason our bushes are so competitive is we machine the crush washers 5000 batch and because our poly is injection moulded there is no machined scrap, its all about investment in tooling for the longer term which is why RD are so competitive on so many products. You should ask if the bushes have been machined from the correct hardness of Urethane or Nylon if you want to avoid unnecessary harshness. The method of cold pouring to produce bushes as used by Superflex or Powerflex produces a quality high compliant bush but the amount of hand finishing is why their bushes tend to be expensive.
Don't normally get involved in arguments on these forums but this posting was so misleading and factually incorrect I couldn't resist making a response. By the way great to see so many of you at Stoneleigh.
Old 17th July 2010, 08:02 PM

Just getting started here on our three Canadian builds (two chassis's almost done will post pics soon).
I ordered all the suspension parts needed and chassis plate kits from Andrew at Saturn and am so pleased with the level of service and quality, the shipping cost was very good considering the products came half way across the world and were here in four days. As far as I am concerned this is what makes a company great. I have not dealt with the other companies referred to on this thread but will definitely be buying more parts from Saturn down the road.

Nigel
Old 21st July 2010, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3GE Components View Post
Hi Baz,

Yes they do, they are around £225 a set.

Kind regards

John
ouch oh
only asked as its the only co. that i know of that make this type of thing for a sole living.

wish i still worked as a cnc repair tec i could knock up and bung in a program to a couple of lathes poping them out by the second
Old 21st July 2010, 05:15 PM

Hello,

You're correct there Ghostrain, the image was used from Rally Designs when i setup the website as we didn't have polybushes in to take pics of, the pics have now been changed. We have a different supplier for the bushes and like RD they are injection moulded and turned Stainless for the crush tubes. Prices seem to be very similar across the board when you add VAT and packaging. Again, pic has been changed to our own.

Nigel, thanks for the post - its good to hear everything is okay and hope you are getting on with your builds.

Thanks....AndyH

Regards..........AndyH
Old 22nd July 2010, 05:51 PM

just wondering....does it have to be stainless steel for its corrosion resistance to tinworm or is it to do with inherant strength.
I am sure someone will put me right here but could galvanised steel do the same job and still have tinworm resistance?
Old 22nd July 2010, 06:06 PM

The bushes actually ride on the tube so a galv coating on mild steel wouldnt last very long at all!

Mild steel will also wear away quicker than the stainless
Old 22nd July 2010, 07:12 PM

HI K4KEV, I think the idea with stainless is to stop all the red rusty water marks as they are on show, steel ones would look shit after a few months and could prove to be abit of a problem if you wanted to remove the bolt due to a build up of rust.
Old 23rd July 2010, 12:29 PM

Have to confess I had already guessed that would be the case....ok then what about this.....nickel or chrome plated mild steel both elements are very hard wearing and there are now electroless methods of plating that do not use nasty chemicals.
Old 24th July 2010, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K4KEV View Post
Have to confess I had already guessed that would be the case....ok then what about this.....nickel or chrome plated mild steel both elements are very hard wearing and there are now electroless methods of plating that do not use nasty chemicals.
By the time you make them and pay to get them plated etc you might as well have bought stainless steel ones

And i bet the stainless ones would still last longer
Old 24th July 2010, 04:54 PM
Super Moderator

You would also have to make sure that the plating was not thick enough to make getting the bolt in a problem

TT

Build Thread

Man Cave Mantiques

Cecil Street Auto Repairs Garage Carlisle

Build Cost £4181.65 - Last - Wheel Cylinders