Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Running gear
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 22nd October 2010, 10:53 PM

Default New components for the Roadster

Hello to everybody.
I have developed two new performance components for the Haynes Roadster and any Locost 7 car in general. The first one is a double MC pedalbox and the second one is a gearchange mechanism for BECs.
I open this thread to present these products to you and see if there is any real interest.

PEDALBOX
Double MC with balance bar design. The design is very different to the book's one and is quite more advanced with both accelerator and clutch cables featuring a bellcrank mechanism (rotating on ball bearings) giving you quite a few options to alter the pedal's response and stroke.
The pedalbox is provided fully powdercoated and any parts left unpainted are made of AISI 304 stainless steel.
Both accelerator and clutch pedals have double stops to set their start and stop positions according to your requirements.
Any pedalbox will be made according to anyone's requirements. Anyway, Haynes chassis is unique, so the design will be the same for all of you, but for those owning different chassis, there is the possibility to have the pedalbox suited to their chassis.
The pedalbox will be TIG/MIG welded, comes powdercoated and includes everything needed except for the balance bar and MCs.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

BEC GEARCHANGE MECHANISM
The latest design is a high quality gearchange mechanism for BECs. The gear knob will be aluminum CNC machined. The gear lever will rotate on two needle bearings which will give perfectly smooth operation. All brackets will be laser cut and TIG welded. It will also come powdercoated.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited by DRCorsa Engineering : 22nd October 2010 at 11:01 PM.
Old 23rd October 2010, 12:04 AM

Look very nice, dare I ask the price?
Old 23rd October 2010, 12:12 AM

Hi and thanks.
Price for the pedalbox (all included expept for the balance bar and MCs) will be 299 GBP but a special offer may be possible for the forum members if we organise a group buy.
As for the gearchange mechanism, i cannot tell you a final price yet, the project is fresh and i will have to calculate the final cost. I will do it the next few days and i will let you know.
Old 23rd October 2010, 12:19 AM

Thanks but 299 is a bit out of my league (as expected) , thanks for the quick response though
Old 23rd October 2010, 12:23 AM

I wish i could offer it for less (single item price) but the cost of the parts are very high. All steel plates are laser cut, and the pedalbox features 4 ball bearings, 4 rod ends, 2 custom made springs, TIG welded and powdercoated. Honestly my profit is very modest.
Anyway, i prefer to offer quality items at an ostensibly high price. I think this is more honest to the customer.
Old 23rd October 2010, 08:05 AM

Maybe Caterham owners might be OK with those pricing levels, but I can't see anybody else doing anything other than laughing, TBH. OBP sell a pedal box complete with master cylinders, reservoirs and balance bar for £303.

I think you need to start doing some market research and some cost engineering.
Old 23rd October 2010, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr henderson View Post
Maybe Caterham owners might be OK with those pricing levels, but I can't see anybody else doing anything other than laughing, TBH. OBP sell a pedal box complete with master cylinders, reservoirs and balance bar for £303.

I think you need to start doing some market research and some cost engineering.
You're right, it's a lot of money comparing to the OBP solution.
But honestly, they are 2 totally different products. I know that OBP makes some very good products but i asm not targeting them. I want to get into the AP Racing - Tilton league. And if you want to be totally honest my pedalbox is more comparable to those. And take a loot at their prices.

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/Motorsport/Braking/Pedal_Box_Assemblies_&_Balance_Bars/Tilton_Universal_Floor_Mount_3_Pedal_Lightweight_A ssembly/1723/0/40917

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/Motors...mbly/1723/6298
Old 23rd October 2010, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRCorsa Engineering View Post
I know that OBP makes some very good products but i asm not targeting them. I want to get into the AP Racing - Tilton league. And if you want to be totally honest my pedalbox is more comparable to those. And take a loot at their prices.

Not really the best forum for you then, what you need is-

http://www.wevegotlotsofmoneyanddont...it.co.uk/forum
Old 23rd October 2010, 10:00 AM

I don't see why you are so aggressive with me.
Anyway, i would like to get comments on the design of the pedalbox. If people like the design of the product i could make a pretty good offer/discount.
But i will not drop the quality level of the product.
There is simply no product with a double bellcrank system working of 4 quality Japanese ball bearings and rod ends, with throttle and clutch spring loaded pedals, with travel stop for both pedals at this price tag.
And there is no manufacturer willing to work with you to make the product to fill your personal requirements.
If this seems expensive to you then you are free to buy a OBP pedalbox. But if you buy an AP Racing or Tilton you will certainly not throw your money away. There is some reason why expensive products are expensive.
Old 23rd October 2010, 10:42 AM

Thats a very nice looking piece of kit you have designed. Do you have any of these made up or do you only have the CAD rendering? Looking at what you have there in laser cut parts (which could be made cheaper with out the holes every where) against the prices I've been given for my lastest order of 3mm work, I'd say theres £50 of laser cut components, £20 male and female rose joints, £36 ball race bearings, £20 springs , 2 hours of assembly welding @ £30per hour and £30-40 powder coat. Add your profit to each unit and £300 a go is not a bad price. Not sure you will have many takers for those that are trying to built their cars for less than £2000 but then you can't sell every thing to every body! There are builders that will spend £500-600 on a new set of wheels and tyres but not £360 on coilovers and springs.
The other way to look at your design, although it does look good is that it is perhaps more complicated that it needs to be?
The very best of luck with your products but please bare in mind that you are trying to sell to people that are either 'building a sports car on a budget' or the other place I'm guessing we'll find you is on 'locost builders' who are trying to build cars for nearly FREE.

Direct email phil@talonmotorfabrication.co.uk

talonmotorfabrication@gmail.com

Mobile office hours 07514098334