Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > General discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 7th August 2009, 08:10 AM

Default Side Exhausts

On another site I stirred things along with my critisism of side exhausts so I will tell you a sorry tale but true.15 years ago I bought a near new (2300km)Chevron 7,drop dead gorgeous,bright yellow with polished alloy panels,well, when I took my wife for her first ride I warned her about a small part of the side exhaust uncovered,of course she burned herself,got the ump big time and took a snitch on my pride and joy and from that day referred to me and the car as "noddy and his noddy car" My 3 teenage daughters not slow to seize a good opportunity spotted a "weakness in the control freak's armour "and homed in for the kill also.What followed was ceaseless and relentless torment about my pride and joy,and when I pointed out that the neighbourhood was "awash with grateful women" ready to give their all to learn about coil over shocks,twin cams etc and perhaps I should take my toys and find a more appreciative reception,the look of genuine glee on their faces caused me to slink off to my shed,tale between my legs,perhaps it would have been helpful if I had read shadowcaster's joke about the 3 bears a month or two back.I am still not fully recovered so I would tell the tale so that you young studs especially would learn the moral to this tale,dont ask me what it is, I dont know but as I hear the phone ringing and as its probably the therapist reminding me of my next appointment I will leave you to work it out for yourselves,now you know why I am not keen side exhausts'.David
Old 7th August 2009, 08:49 AM

I'm surprised more people don't route them under the car. I know its possible.
Old 7th August 2009, 09:00 AM

Exhaust underneath can mean a big loss of ground clearance.
Old 7th August 2009, 09:37 AM

I'm planning on hiding mine away in side pods, that way I can make them from cheaper parts and it doesn't metter how ugly they look. (with a v8 2 exhausts are obviously twice as expensive as the 1 needed for a 4-cylinder engine)

And here's all my build photo's on a picasa web album http://tinyurl.com/5tbtm46
Old 7th August 2009, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr henderson View Post
Exhaust underneath can mean a big loss of ground clearance.
Good point

Our local County Highway office are speed hump freaks. The bloody things are everywhere

One of our local towns is mental. Humps every few hundred yards on every single road except for one ................ yep you guessed it....... The road that goes to the local Council Offices

I dare say, with a bit of creative fabrication. The exhaust could be fitted under the car.

Would it loose the classic 7 look !!??

Hows that for sitting on the fence

www.roadster-builders.co.uk
Old 7th August 2009, 10:19 AM

Its been done, there was a guy writing for a kitcar mag a while back called (IIRC) Nigel Dean who had an RV8 engine in a (IIRC) a Westfield seight and he routed the pipes under the car, not sure if they followed the prop ?
And as for reducing ground clearance, yes, but the sump clearance is only about 10cm, so as long as you are at sump leve I don't see it being a major problem. As I said, its been done.
Old 7th August 2009, 10:21 AM
fabbyglass

If space allows you could always take the pipe thru the rear arch and somehow have the silencer in with the tank then poke the end out the back.....but best just left as it supposed to be as easier.

Speed bumps....now what a cock up they are unless you are on a dirt bike then they are ideal "wheelie bumps"
Old 7th August 2009, 10:37 AM

Excuse me, I'm just an idiot. Would'nt an under body exhaust add highly to the risk of fire coz it'll be very close to the fuel tank and fuel lines?

I'm with the idea of routing it under the car if it's safe to do so.

I have seen some car's with side exhausts which're a work of art and absolutely should not be hidden from sight.

When the time comes - if I can produce a beautiful exhaust system, it''l go on the side. If not probably in pods, like Aerosam's suggested.
Old 7th August 2009, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabbyglass View Post
If space allows you could always take the pipe thru the rear arch and somehow have the silencer in with the tank then poke the end out the back.....but best just left as it supposed to be as easier.

Speed bumps....now what a cock up they are unless you are on a dirt bike then they are ideal "wheelie bumps"
I saw that and was quite impressed with how good it looked.
Old 7th August 2009, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balidey View Post
Its been done, there was a guy writing for a kitcar mag a while back called (IIRC) Nigel Dean who had an RV8 engine in a (IIRC) a Westfield seight and he routed the pipes under the car, not sure if they followed the prop ?
And as for reducing ground clearance, yes, but the sump clearance is only about 10cm, so as long as you are at sump leve I don't see it being a major problem. As I said, its been done.
Indeed, if it is no lower than the sump then no problem, but implies that the sump would need to be about 60mm below the floor of the car (50mm pipe, 10mm clearance). I wouldn't set an engine that low, personally