Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Bodywork and interior
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 20th November 2009, 09:15 AM

Default Fitting a fuel tank under fabby's rear end

Gents

Saw recently that a book fuel tank doesn't fit behind a fibreglass rear tub. Anyone know why not, and what mods are required?

Cheers

Adrian
Old 20th November 2009, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrianreeve View Post
Gents

Saw recently that a book fuel tank doesn't fit behind a fibreglass rear tub. Anyone know why not, and what mods are required?

Cheers

Adrian
When i fitted my fuel tank i originally made it to the book spec, with my rear end to the book spec with the curved rear rails. I had to modify the Triton rear end to fit it. The book fuel tank was a very tight fit then. But yes your right when Mark made the rear end plugs he just had a set of dimensions to work from and when the final design of the car was made the rear end was slightly different. So the fuel tank needs to be about 40mm narrower to fit, the fuel tank can be raised to keep capacity.

The rear end is easier to fabricate with the Triton / Saturn rear end but you will have to modify the fuel tank. For some parts of the work, ie fuel tank, rear end chassis and radiator it can be beneficial to have the relevant body while fitting. I'm not fishing by the way it just can make it easier......

Regards..........AndyH
Old 20th November 2009, 01:49 PM

Adrian,

As mentioned by Andy previously, the book tank is to wide for the avaliable space. As Andy said you can increase the height to keep the capacity. I went a bit further and nearly doubled the height of the tank I am using.

From rough calculations it holds about 35 - 40 ltr. Should be enough for a good blast when finished.

Have a look at the attached pic.

Cheers

Mark
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2667_WEB.jpg (34.6 KB, 106 views)
Old 20th November 2009, 04:38 PM

Gus

Did you make that yourself?

Want to make another one?!

Just to clarify, do you mean 40mm front to rear, or side to side, I assume you mean front to rear.

Andy - fear not! When I have any sort of money to spend, I'll be after black side and rear panels, with the rest in orange (I know, another orange one!), as well as a bulkhead panel in orange and a flyscreen. Any plans for a blank dash panel or a boot box?

Cheers

Adrian

Last edited by adrianreeve : 20th November 2009 at 05:41 PM.
Old 20th November 2009, 05:57 PM

Hi Adrian,

Yep made it myself. The one you see is mk2. Mk1 was made to book spec and didn't fit!!

Just sold that one to Matthew. Seeing him at Exeter tomorrow.

Does come in handy working as a fabricator / welder, as it means you've got all the kit without having to buy any of it.

Wouldn't mind making another one. Never know Mk3 may be better again.

The 40mm is front to back.
If Saturn have got all Fabby's moulds then there should already be a dash blank avaliable. I know I got one in black sat in the garage waiting for me.

Cheers

Mark (Gus)
Old 20th November 2009, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrianreeve View Post
Gus

Did you make that yourself?

Want to make another one?!

Just to clarify, do you mean 40mm front to rear, or side to side, I assume you mean front to rear.

Andy - fear not! When I have any sort of money to spend, I'll be after black side and rear panels, with the rest in orange (I know, another orange one!), as well as a bulkhead panel in orange and a flyscreen. Any plans for a blank dash panel or a boot box?

Cheers

Adrian

Cheers Adrian,

I wasn't fishing, honest. We can make the blank dashboard panel, just haven't had time to update the website yet, £55 plus del. The bootbox is next on the list.

Regards....AndyH

Regards..........AndyH