Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Announcements
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 8th July 2012, 11:47 AM

Cheers Ronnie, its getting there but slowly. I'm fairly pleased with the GRP work on the nose cone so far and think it will be alright in the end. I'm just in the process of joining the Hagley car club and thinking about the possibilities of doing some hill climbs, although not in the Dragon as yet. I'm looking out for a cheap Fiesta Zetec S as my eldest daughter has one and it goes really well and handles prety well too. Probably won't do anything this year but looking to do a "driver's school day" at Loton Park next year and take it from there. In the meantime I'll keep just tinkering away at the dragon whenever I get a spare hour or two.

D.
Old 14th July 2012, 07:04 AM

I've managed to get a few hours in this week on the nosecone and overall I'm rather pleased with how well its shaping upalthough I've spent about six hours removing all the old horrible paint from it. I have about an hours work this morning finishing off a service on motorhome thn the rest of the day is mine! Got to pop out late morning for an hour on the golf driving range but other than that its Dragon day! I hope to get the nosecone into primer and possibly mount the seat runners, watch this space.

D.
Old 14th July 2012, 07:49 PM

Hopefully this post will include a link to my Facebook page where a photo of the Dragon should be, as she sits this afternoon:
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...type=1&theater

Nosecone is now in barcoat and there are a few little details to tidy up before final painting but overall I'm well pleased with it. Seats are now fitted on runners. Headlight brackets are there but need altering to suit the new headlight/sidelight/DRL/indicator units as shown in photo. I need to make some mounting plates for the mirrors (as seen in photo) and weld them in plus a mounting bar into the roll bar for the upper harness mounts.

I think the chassis will be ready for stripping down ready for powder coating then and following that I can start the final build up.

D.

PS, anyone mentions "BRUM" and they're off my Christmas card list for good :-)
Old 14th July 2012, 08:14 PM

Hi davey

Looks as if you have made some cracking progress with the Draggon

That nose sure looks as if going to be really nice once you have the top coat on.

The Draggon has totally transformed since you first bought her into the workshop

www.roadster-builders.co.uk
Old 28th July 2012, 08:00 PM

Had a good day today. Started off with a quick trip to Shrewsbury to the best steel stockholders in the county (possibly the ony one ) for some 33.7mmX4mm wall round tube for the cross bar of the roll bar to take the upper harness mounts. I also grabbed a couple of feet of 42mm X 2mm wall round tube to remake the headlamp mounts (new headlamps need a 16mm mounting hole and are fixed with a 24mmAF nut so existing tube was too narrow).

Got to the workshop late morning and got stuck in. I've mounted the cross tube by cutting 34 (ish)mm holes into the rollbar upright setions and inserting the cross tube into these. The harness mounting bushes are cut into the tube and tig welded in place then the cross tube MIG welded into the rollbar. I beleive this will give a good strong upper harness mounting.

I've also done the headlamp mounting brackets in bigger diameter tube to acomodate the larger fixing nut but I'm not sure I like the look of those mountings, I'm thinking that a curved tube from the chassis up to the lamp mounting position would look better but haven't figured out how to access the fixing nut with such a design . I've now fitted brackets to take the brake hoses as well.

For fun I've fitted the seats and the harnesses along with the nosecone and headlamps. Apart from the headlamp mountings (which I'll probably just go with as I can't figure out a better option) and final welding/dressing of welds I think I have just about got a complete chassis.

Here's a link to my facebook page with a photo. http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...unt=1&re f=nf
D.
Old 28th July 2012, 08:38 PM

Cool Nice one

Just had a gander at the picture Davey

Boy, what a transformation, the Draggons come a very long way indeed & if I may say so, a vast improvement.

Still following your build with interest mate.

www.roadster-builders.co.uk
Old 29th July 2012, 08:37 PM

Cheers Ronnie, nice to know someone is following my build . Spent a few more hours on it today dressing a few welds down and starting to strip it all back ready for shot blasting and powder coating. I also spent a couple of hours tweeking the steering rack length as trials were showing it still had some bump steer, I'm pleased to say that is all but dialled out now and the tiny bit that's left is (hopefully) not going to be a major issue. down to 2.5 turns lock to lock now but I wll have to make some rack extensions as there is less than 20mm of track rod thread into each track rod which seems a tad short to me.

Got a quiet week at work this week, job in tomorrow with a doc visit in the afternoon for a stubborn cough, nowt Tuesday, golfing Wednesday, my birthday on Thursday and my golf mate's on Friday. Saturday could be messy but hopefully I can finish stripping the chassis tomorrow/Tuesday and get it away for powder coating before the week is out.

D.
Old 29th July 2012, 09:07 PM

Its got a v in it so I am watching with interest.

You have got that lump nice and low ,is that in its final postion?. I was wondering if it all ends up under the bonnet. Are those the headlights with the indicators built in?

Bob

The cave http://s1116.photobucket.com/user/my...deshow/mancave

The build http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=12669

Last edited by robo : 29th July 2012 at 09:14 PM.
Old 30th July 2012, 06:23 AM

Hi Rob, yes that's the final position for the donkey, Throttle bodies will be above bonnet line so a large cut out in centre of bonnet is planned with a clear perspex dome over them. Sump has been cut and shut to accomodate engine position. Headlights are the Venom 5 in 1 units with LED indicators and LED position/DRL lamps. I had to remake the headlight mounts as the tubes weren't big enough dia for the fixing nuts, I've also raised them by about 20mm from this position.

D.
Old 6th August 2012, 03:40 PM

Well late last week I completed welding on the chassis and at 07.00 this morning delivered it to the local powder coating outfit for shot blasting and finishing in glorious gloss black. Will post photos when it comes back in a day or two.

D.