Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Electrics
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 27th November 2011, 10:36 PM

Default Standard sierra dash options

I'm going down the route of using the standad sierra gauges in my car. Mine has a clock instead of a rev counter, does anyone know if all 4 cylinder sierra gauges are interchangable and will the rev counter read right if i fit it.
Old 28th November 2011, 11:56 AM

Yes and No. You can swap them over as they are physically a straight forward swap. However engines that were fired with a dizzy have one coil and one pulse. Engines that were coil pack have 2 pulses and these have different rev counters.
Old 28th November 2011, 06:40 PM

Thanks for the info. I'm running with a dizzy so the next question does anyone know if there is visual difference between the two or part number so i know i'm getting the right one off the ebay. I'm also going to be running megajolt so will this affect the selection in anyway.
Old 29th November 2011, 02:31 PM

I had the same problem in that my donor's instruments had a clock instead of rev counter. If you're running megajolt won't you be using a coilpack and edis? either way there's a few different ways to get the rev counter working depending on what type it is. You can run it off a single coil, make a bit of loom using some diodes and run it off the coilpack (what i did), it can run off the edis, or you can run it off the Megajolt (however I wouldn't recommended it as if the megajolt dies while driving, so does your rev counter). I think the instruments broadly fall into 2 categorys:

carb engine (pinto, cvh) - designed to run from a single coil, can be modified to run from a coilpack by making a loom using diodes
fuel injected engine (cvh cfi, dohc?) - designed to run from the edis, pretty sure these can also run off the megajolt

Last edited by brainbug007 : 29th November 2011 at 02:36 PM.
Old 30th November 2011, 11:44 PM

Thanks very much for the info i've just picked one up off ebay, should hopefully be able to sort it out some way. If not i'll be back on here before you know it cheers everyone.