Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > General discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 5th July 2009, 12:36 PM

Exclamation Safety

Hi everyone

I think its worth posting this up just to remind people about safety. Especially when some of the members on this forum have never used angle grinders/welding sets etc before starting their builds.

I bet there isnt one person who will read this (me included) who hasnt picked up a grinder with no goggles/hearing protection/gloves on just to quickly grind or cut that little thing that will only take a second. Its only this quick second that it takes to lose an eye its even more apparent in this hot weather when wearing goggles/earmuffs is a pain in the a*#e!

In my working life since i was sixteen (12years ago) ive always worked in industry, the first 4years as a plater then the rest as a mechanical fitter.

In this time ive seen many accidents including someone going blind in one eye when a cutting disc in a 9 inch grinder jammed in the work and exploded he was wearing safety specs instead of goggles/visor and a piece of the disc made it under them and into his eye.

Also a friend of mine was using a very thin 1mm cutting disc and slipped and cut through some of the tendons in the back of his hand, two operations later and he could then move his fingers properly again.

One of my dads old workmates who has experience of 25years as a plater done a similar thing and slipped with a grinder and cut about halfway through his index finger.

More recently i was reading the notice board whilst carrying out some work at a catalyst company and they had an article pinned up where someone had tripped over whilst grinding and cut his own throat and sadly later died.

I know that these are all one off accidents but we all use grinders regularly so should treat them with the upmost respect.

Sorry for the long post but hopefully this post will stick in the back of peoples mind next time they are in the garage playing with their power tools

and remind them to be very careful and always wear their protective gear
Old 5th July 2009, 12:47 PM
Super Moderator

i can agree with that. the only tool more dangerous than an angle grinder is a chain saw!

i was wearing safety gloves and slipped. the grinder snatched and went through the glove and removed a chunk out of my hand. if i hadnt of been wearing the gloves i wouldnt have a thumb on my right hand!
Old 5th July 2009, 01:38 PM

Wink Good post

That is a nice post Mark & I fully agree with your comments.

It is worthwhile being reminded from time to time of the dangers of power tools, all of which have the potential to cause serious injury or even death

During my almost 40 years working with all things metal & the likes, I have had the odd incident here and there requiring a visit to A&E.

Luckilly, nothing a few stitches or a bandage couldn't put right .

I will be the first to accept, each and every incident was my own fault, either ignoring the potential hazards or not wearing the correct safety equipment.

Take care folks & stay safe

www.roadster-builders.co.uk
Old 5th July 2009, 08:21 PM

Totally agree, be safe people!Had a 9 inch disc explode on me and glad I had a full visor on at the time.
Its the fool behind the tool thats dangerous.
And true to form (read as dickhead)I have drilled my hand when looking and thinking this is going to hurt and carried on doing it,pratt or what!

Build safe all.

Last edited by flyerncle : 5th July 2009 at 08:23 PM.
Old 5th July 2009, 09:42 PM
Chris Gibbs

Good post Mark

I won't put you through all my incidents but I'm lucky to be in one piece, safety should be your no1 prority.

Cheers

Chris