Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Engine/transmission
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 24th February 2010, 08:31 PM

Default 2.0 zetec black top

If i was to use a 2.0 zetec with bike thottle bodies what other parts of a mondeo would i need? Would i be able to just buy a engine or would the whole car be better? Im going to fit it to a mt75 gearbox, any help would be great thanks.
Old 25th February 2010, 07:16 PM

anyone please?
Old 25th February 2010, 07:28 PM

Really, the engine is the only useful part. If you're going bike carbs, then you cant use the ecu, so I'd go for just an engine. Obviously, if you can hear it running first, so much the better, but low mileage, and lack of cack in the oil cap should be a fairly good indicator of condition.

HTH

Adrian
Old 25th February 2010, 07:58 PM

Black top Zetec will not go through the IVA without a catalyst and to ensure that it works properly you'll need to keep the ECU wiring and injection system from the donor car so bike carbs/throttle bodies won't work. There are also issues with the Built in anti theft systems which can make using a black top a pain.
Go in search of a good pre '95 silver top - there are plenty cheap ones around now and that can be run on bike carbs/megajolt ign.

Simples BV.
Old 25th February 2010, 08:07 PM

The reason i wanted the black top was because of the sump being easier to alter with having a steel bottom. If i wanted to still use the black top could i just fit the standard injection and ecu until after the IVA?

Last edited by degmwilliams : 25th February 2010 at 08:45 PM.
Old 25th February 2010, 08:25 PM

The black top sump is part cast ally and part steel. It's not compatable with type 9 gerabox/starter but you can replace it with the earlier silver top sump or a CVH sump.

You WILL need to run a catalyst and you'll need this and the stock injection/ecu for your annual MOT which will be tested to post '95 requirements - your mot emissions test is determined at the IVA test and is based on the age of your engine. A pre '95 engine should not need a catalyst and the mot emissions are easier to get through.

As for the standard injection and ecu - the throttle body will stick out through the top of the bonnet so it's not exactly ideal for the HR, also the passive anti-theft system is routed through several other items in the donor vehicle which, to ensure the anti-theft system is secure, there is no published information, so basically you don't know what parts of the donor car you'll need. eg. you'll need one of the front headlights (for sure this was the case on transit vans!), bracelet from the ign switch, instrument pack, clock unit, fuse box and probably one or two more items depending on model, they must all come from the same donor vehicle as each one is coded.

The money you save by using the black top just because you have it is outweighed by the complication using it could bring, especially as zetec engines are pretty cheap these days.

If your up for a challenge then by all means try it - it has been done but it's not simple and a reprogram of your ecu by a ford main dealer isn't cheap!

HTH BV.

Last edited by Big Vern : 25th February 2010 at 08:35 PM.
Old 25th February 2010, 09:03 PM

I dont have the engine yet, so if i was to go with the silver top would there be any issues then with what i said in the first post?
Old 25th February 2010, 09:57 PM

You'll want the engine. Not really worth getting a whole car.
I've not done a zetec to MT75 before there could be issues with the clutch.

BV.
Old 26th February 2010, 08:33 PM

Could i buy any silver top zetec or will the IVA know what age the engine is? Also did the mondeo come out without a cat?
There are some silver tops on ebay but most dont have what age they are.
Old 26th February 2010, 09:27 PM

When you go for your IVA one of the first things VOSA will ask you to do is to prove the age of the engine, by markings or log book. If he's in any doubt over your engine age he'll subject you to the strictest emissions test. Think they are probably sick of people trying it on getting pre-cat tests on their cars.

The easiest process is to get the car IVA'd with a pre-95 block in then upgrade the power house afterwards - MOT man is highly unlikely to check engine age. Will cost a lot more money to go CAT route.

AndyH

Regards..........AndyH