Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Announcements
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 4th July 2015, 09:52 PM

I don't know if I've buggered up somewhere but I'm certain I could fit the long angled engine bay brace tubes.

I'll need to not use the inlet manifold brace but it'll otherwise clear especially on the exhaust side.

I've also fitted the rad. I'll use a pusher fan.

I've also fitted the steering column frame and welded in the rear end and seat frames. Just waiting for a coupler before I can complete the steering.

I stupidly forgot to get the key and immobiliser box from the engines original car. It'll make wiring the engine a lot harder. I ultimately want to use a mega squirt ecu so I may go straight to that.
Old 4th July 2015, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by norton View Post
I don't know if I've buggered up somewhere but I'm certain I could fit the long angled engine bay brace tubes.

I'll need to not use the inlet manifold brace but it'll otherwise clear especially on the exhaust side.

I've also fitted the rad. I'll use a pusher fan.

I've also fitted the steering column frame and welded in the rear end and seat frames. Just waiting for a coupler before I can complete the steering.

I stupidly forgot to get the key and immobiliser box from the engines original car. It'll make wiring the engine a lot harder. I ultimately want to use a mega squirt ecu so I may go straight to that.
Hmmmm, interesting!
Old 4th July 2015, 10:20 PM

My sump sits 50mm below the chassis so I thought it would hinder this even more. I'm using a mk1 inlet which might make a difference.
Old 5th July 2015, 09:11 AM

do you have the tube dimensions for these wishbones
as im looking at the saturn plans but dont see them
i see the dims for the jigs but thats it

regards
steve
Quote:

Nearly all done. Annoyingly the last arm I thought I finished went wonky so I need to correct that. Also still waiting for the suspension brackets which should turn up any day now I hope.

I'm off next week which should give me the time to get it on its wheels and the engine, box and diff mounted too.
Old 5th July 2015, 09:20 AM

The rear lower arms I made 20mm longer than suggested by the plans as many were reporting their adjusters were wound out a long way to achieve correct geometry. I would probable revise this to only 10mm longer if I were making them again.

Rear upper arms.

Old 9th July 2015, 03:42 PM

They're in. They clear everything but I might have to trim back/remove the inlet support bracket lug from one of the inlet runners. I wonder how much the engine mounts will allow the engine to move as well.

Either way the front end looks a lot more stout. I might still put a cross brace in the front frame too.

Can anyone tell me what flexi hoses they used and where they put the chassis lugs for them please?
Old 12th July 2015, 11:27 PM

Hi Gavin good to see another mx5 build!! The strut brace you have put in on the drivers side I was told on this forum it's not needed as the mx5 uses a collapsible steering colum!?!? I would just check your height for the body work! Nice to see someone else making everything takes longer but it's defiantly bespoke good work fella keep it up!

Build pictures
http://s830.photobucket.com/user/brownster79/library/
Old 12th July 2015, 11:47 PM

Thanks, I didn't think the collapsible column had much to do with ommiting the brace? I beleived it was due to clashing with the inlet manifold cast brace that extends down the block. I'm leaving that out of my build so I can fit the extra chassis tube which should reduce chassis flex.
Old 24th July 2015, 08:11 PM

Can anyone advise on what offset 13 wheels one would fit to our cars?

I'm looking at 13x7 front and 13x8 minilites but I can't find any definite offsets used for such a wheel.
Old 24th July 2015, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Can anyone advise on what offset 13 wheels one would fit to our cars?

I'm looking at 13x7 front and 13x8 minilites but I can't find any definite offsets used for such a wheel.
I used team dynamics 1.2 wheels ET38 I think, best to get a template of the wheels you like to be sure, what brakes are you using? 1.8 or 1.6?