Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Bodywork and interior
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 22nd January 2010, 12:00 PM

Default Scuttle

I'm trying to fit my scuttle but its slightly wider than my chassis with its aluminium sides on. I'm assuming its ok to squeeze it in the 5mm either side to make it flush? Or is this likely to cause it to crack after a few months?
Old 22nd January 2010, 12:09 PM

Hi Deezee,

The scuttle will be fine to squeeze in both sides, if you warm it up a little bit, first fix one side into position then push the other side in to meet the edge of the chassis rail.

The moulding was made to allow for the slightly thicker grp side panels and also so that it can be moved along the chassis rails for position. There should be 3 layers of matting in the flange ends so plenty of strength there.

All the best....AndyH

Regards..........AndyH
Old 22nd January 2010, 12:14 PM

Whats best to warm it up with? I've got a paint stripper heat gun? I imagine thats too hot! Just warm up the corner I guess to soften it up?

This is my first experience handling fibreglass, so I'm a little naive about how much punishment it can take.
Old 22nd January 2010, 12:14 PM
Super Moderator

bolt the drivers side on first then the push the passengers side up and bolt down. i had the same with mine it eventually took the new shape and doesn't have to be squeezed in any more. its been on the car for at least 6months now and hasn't cracked to date
Old 22nd January 2010, 12:49 PM

This is a relief to hear, I found early on in my build that the drivers side upright had pulled in over 2 or 3mm during welding.
Hopefully this means that a GRP scuttle should fit.
Not sure of the weight difference between a GRP one and a homemade alloy scuttle.
Old 22nd January 2010, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deezee View Post
Whats best to warm it up with? I've got a paint stripper heat gun? I imagine thats too hot! Just warm up the corner I guess to soften it up?

This is my first experience handling fibreglass, so I'm a little naive about how much punishment it can take.
Just put it in the airing cupboard for half and hour or against a radiator. Doesn't need to be too warm, just enough to give it that bit of movement. The Polyester resin never actually fully cures and takes a long time to reach full strength so it may feel you need to force it at first but once you have it fixed in the correct position the resin will creep and take up its new shape,

All the best....AndyH

Regards..........AndyH