Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Announcements
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 24th July 2013, 09:13 PM

It just seems to go from bad to worse

Arfon
Old 24th July 2013, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talonmotorsport View Post
Dan at Gillham online now has the Saturn moulds, if you give him a chance to set him self up at his new workshop I'm sure he'll be able to sort you out.
I have been waiting for the right time to bring this up and now seems as good a time as any .... I would like to put things right with regards to people missing bodywork from nts, now that I have taken over the moulds from andy I have the flexibility to do so. What I was planning to do is after I have moved workshops and my bodywork group buy has passed is to offer bodywork at a reduced price to the nts customers who have had issues with the parts supplied / not supplied. Ill need to see your origional invoice with info and pics of the problem item to get this discount. I'm sorry but I can't supply the parts for free or do anything about postage rates but I can supply with a decent amount of money off my product. I need to sit down and work out the costs etc and be settled into the new worshop before I can say what discount I can supply.

Hope this comes as some relief and ill put a post up to confirm when I am in a position to offer this.

In the meantime if you have any questions please get in contact.

Dan

P.S. Sorry to hijack the thread!

Last edited by GillhamOnline : 24th July 2013 at 11:57 PM.
Old 25th July 2013, 09:30 AM

Dan,
I am sure that the people involved will appreciate the kind gesture that you are making to try and help people get over a problem that is none of your doing.
Nathan if Dan is offering the parts at reduced cost maybe you could contribute towards them using the money they have paid you and that way you will get everyone off your back and peace can return to the mad house once and for all

Just a thought

Arfon
Old 25th August 2013, 01:21 AM

Here's a couple of up-to-date pics of Nathan's rear arches that were never refunded nor replaced, after three months of use:

Old 25th August 2013, 01:22 AM

Old 25th August 2013, 09:07 AM

I have always had the issues of outer fibre glass gel coat coming off. I thought thats what fibre glass did. thats why I always went for abs plastic. (back in the day of big bumpers and side skirts)

should good fibreglass not split/chip then? I was going to put rubberized under sealer on the inside of my arches (about 10 coats )

do I not need to? should it hold together if its good stuff.
Old 25th August 2013, 10:56 AM

I would think that is the result of pouring the gel coat in to the middle of mould and then spreading it around with a paddle or a brush, I bet it's nice and thick at the top of the arch? The edges and the returns should have been done first in a nice thick coat with a brush left for 5-10mins then the flat areas done with a roller so it goes on even. If it was given two coats that would have been even better but gel coat is more expensive than laminating resin, I'm guessing there is not much of it on the bigger parts like the scuttle and bonnet.
As for the matting not being pushed into the resin either there is not enough of it so it was done dry or a finned consolidating roller was not used which costs about £5-7.
The hollow voids between the gel coat and the resin is caused by trying to force 600csm into tight corners, a way round the problem is to cut strips of a lighter 200g csm mat and put that around the edges and corners as this has a bit more give to it. A radius roller costing £4-7 would then push the matting in to place. When I get my act together and start to produce my GRP parts I'm using 200g woven roven around the edges and corners so that hopefully this does not happen.
Has any body thought about using a polyurethane truck bed liner under the arches that stuff is near impossible to damage?

At this point I'd like to point out that I have no back ground in GRP but I do have 14 months worth of college education in industrial model making, the advice on laminating was given to me by a neighbour who makes £130,000 racing yachts.
Old 25th August 2013, 11:16 PM
Super Moderator

my triton arches from the same moulds have been on the car for 3 1/2 years without any problems. fibreglassing is an art form

My Pictures
http://s707.photobucket.com/user/ashgardiner/profile/