Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Engine/transmission
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 30th May 2009, 05:26 AM

Default Tranny, How Far Back

It is difficult to tell just how far back to place the tranny. I am using the T9 transmission in a LHD. Needless to say there is less room on the left than the right as the release fork and cable are on that side.

I am looking for some options to get a bit more foot space (currently there is 8 1/2") and I thought that I could move the tranny back far enough to where the firewall would be in front of the full travel of the release fork. That way I only have to deal with the cable. I would gain close to an inch in width in the footwell.

Would this work? Any other ideas? Do I just wear tight shoes?
Old 30th May 2009, 10:33 AM

Hi, there was a thread on here a little while ago to do with this.
someone suggested that the gearlever should end up about level with the steering wheel.
Ive since sat in numerous cars and this seems to be a good recommendation.
hope this helps
Ray
Old 30th May 2009, 09:17 PM

Raceline sells a bellhousing that will put the clutch lever on the right side, or try and buy a Sierra bellhousing. The US clutches are on the other side. Taylor in Plano Texas (expensive) makes it with starters on either side.
Old 31st May 2009, 02:08 AM

Thanks Miles, but if the clutches are on the drivers side in the UK, as they are in the US, how are you able to have a 9 degree angle? I'm a bit confused. It seems like you need US bellhousings and we need UK ones.

I'll look into a Sierra bellhousing it would greatly help to get some more footspace. Hopefully I can find someone willing to ship to the US.

Last edited by Tim Taylor : 31st May 2009 at 05:14 AM.
Old 31st May 2009, 06:51 PM

The other problem is a lot of bellhousings are of different length so you have to use the clutch arm or do some creative t-o bearing sleeve work. I used the sierra for a 1600 crossflow to T-9 conversion but ended up using a tilton rally clutch. The Sierra I used was steel (heavy) and need some grinding on the outside to fit my tunnel configuration. The Merkur T-9 has a long pilot shaft so you need to use that bellhousing or have use the short front nose which gets complicated. There is a company in the US in Connecticut,Quantum Mechanics that specializes in T-9's I bought a sierra bellhousing from them. I will look up their phone # if you need it.
Old 6th July 2009, 08:25 PM

I have just come across a similar problem. I am using a Type 9 Close Ration Box, (its the longer input shaft model) I have had to mount the engine further forward, and use a gear lever extension to move it back by 135 mm. However, i do not think I have room to fit the alternator on its new bracket? Does anyone know of a smaller alternator that could be use? Starting to thing a Pinto engine would have saved me a lot of time!