Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Engine/transmission
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 7th March 2009, 01:06 PM

Smile The Rover V8

OK after a lot of thinking I have decided to use a Rover V8 in the Roadster. For me it makes econimic sence, I have a Discovery 3.9 V8 Auto running on LPG which I adore not least because of the smooth power of the V8. It' an engine I understand and have always loved since driving P6'es and SD1 years ago. However she is getting a bit tired and really needs an overhaul, new cam and big ends ect. So the plan is now to get another 3.9 V8 complete when funds allow and after giving it a check over put it in the Disco, then overhaul the one I take out. I may even use an auto box in the roadster as I'm not that intrested in out and out performance, just something that is fun to drive around the coast roads of Cornwall.

So whats the verdict am I mad/insane, should I think of adding additional bracing to the engine bay I think TR7 will have to go and be replaced by removable bracing.

It does not matter how slowly you go so long as you do not stop.
Confucius Chinese philosopher & reformer (551 BC - 479 BC)
Old 7th March 2009, 05:57 PM

To each his own but personally I think you are crazy. This type of car does not benefit from Big engine. You will lose agility and gain little if anything in speed and also add extra work for yourself. If you aren't interested in all out performance then find good running sierra as you need a donor regardless and use the engine that comes with. You could even get an auto if that suits you.
Old 12th March 2009, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouth View Post
To each his own but personally I think you are crazy. This type of car does not benefit from Big engine. You will lose agility and gain little if anything in speed and also add extra work for yourself. If you aren't interested in all out performance then find good running sierra as you need a donor regardless and use the engine that comes with. You could even get an auto if that suits you.
Why do lose agility? The RV8 weighs the same as a Pinto which a lot areusing on here.
Old 13th March 2009, 06:04 PM

They put them in Seven's and Westie's and the auto may save you a few prob's. Do it....
Old 13th March 2009, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tr7v8 View Post
Why do lose agility? The RV8 weighs the same as a Pinto which a lot areusing on here.
I wasn't aware of that.
Old 13th March 2009, 07:51 PM

And if I remember correctly and Mr G will correct me if not,the roadster was able to take said engine and frame was up to the stress.
Flak awaited.....
Old 13th March 2009, 09:33 PM
Chris Gibbs

Did I say that?

No, the chassis should be ok for the Rover engine.

The bit about the pinto and the Rover V8 being the same weight is a bit of an urban myth, probably the fault of the internet.

The rover block weighs a little less than a pinto engine, which means that the dressed V8 is 25kg or so heavier than the pinto. It's still a light engine for it's power.

The V8 gets lighter and the pinto gets heavier everytime I hear this yarn, to the point that someone told me that the Rover engine was "about two thirds of the weight of a pinto" yes it's got a lighter block but a huge crankshaft, 8 pistons and 8 con rods do weigh something!

Cheers

Chris
Old 16th March 2009, 10:55 AM

Thanks for the info guys, I think I'm making the right choice the Rover engine is a good depenable engine, parts are quite cheap from the many Land Rover vendors and she should sound great.

Still have the question about TR7, should I make it smaller and weld it or make it removable, to make getting the engine in/out easier.

It does not matter how slowly you go so long as you do not stop.
Confucius Chinese philosopher & reformer (551 BC - 479 BC)
Old 16th March 2009, 11:08 AM

In the MGB I believe the engine weights weren't that different betwen v8 an in line 4, a bit more on the v8 but not enough to mess up the handling.
Go for it, I wouldn't put an old auto box in though, I would almost guarantee you'll love the dropping a cog to overtake and the ability to hold the power round the corners etc.

You'll have a load of torque anyway so you won't need to constantly change gear with a manual, horses for courses though..
Old 16th March 2009, 12:53 PM

Thumbs up Rover V8

I was out mending my grandsons kickstart on his slowped yesterday.

A Range Rover went down the lane. My eldest said what the hell is in that !!??

Rover V8 son, was the reply. He said "Cool"

To be honest I had forgotten just how sweet the sound of a V8 purring away is.

www.roadster-builders.co.uk