Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Announcements
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 2nd January 2016, 08:29 PM

hi its an eaton m45 , basically its a mini supercharger, went with mounting it low down so I didn't have a big hole in the bonnet, once I had that mounted I made up an idler pulley and ran the belt from the front pulley (ps pump) round the idler to the s/c pulley, then working backwards I made an inlet and piped it over the engine mount up the passenger bulkhead to pick up an adaptor for the bypass and the second throttle body (no electrics just the butterfly) from here I piped round the rear of the engine to the airflow meter and air filter.
from the s/c outlet I made an exit with a small dia pipe pointing rearward towards the bypass outlet , fitting the bypass valve inbetween . going forward a large dia pipe going S shaped upwards to a VW Passat intercooler , the I/c outlet joined to the original throttle body. the air temp sensor is relocated in the I/c outlet. This gives the ecu the most accurate air temp before the plenum chamber , the airflow meter right at the start has to give the ecu the most accurate airflow reading as its the only way in for the air.
sorry to be so longwinded . there is a good write up on mx5nutz about a s/c install loads of pictures and photos of inlets outlets if you go back through my build photos you can see how I did mine.
Oh I also rotated my front water outlet by 180 deg , gives a tidier run to the polo rad and clearance for the i/c also modded the block inlet as the s/c is in the way so instead of the return pipe coming from the passenger side it now comes under the s/c and up to the inlet.
if I can be of any help , questions or pics just shout
Old 4th January 2016, 03:10 PM

well catching up with all the wee jobs , so filled the gearbox and turret with oil, wrapped the exhaust manifold and cat, trimmed the handbrake and gear lever, put clips on the bottom side of trans tunnel top to catch on chassis rails and put gear knob on. hopefully starter motor will be here tomorrow and I can get that in... then back to work on wednesday so it will be back to weekends on the car
Old 9th January 2016, 03:33 PM

well the thread title says "progress at last" well very little today , welded in my vin number plate PLEASE NOTE IT IS A PIG TO DO NOW so a word to the wise apply early on in your build and do it before you get to far on.
A wee something to smile about though, after being not very happy with the quality of the chrome headlights I bought and weeping at the price of stainless ones I found an ad for stainless 7" headlight bowls in the states , said they were happy to ship and it cost me under £100 the pair shipped and with priority customs clearance. so the postie delivered them today and I fitted them very happy with them and the service, we will see how the quality bares up with british weather but it cant be any worse than the others.
on a down side I still have a starting problem and its causing me some grief.......... I need to sort this out before I can do anything else,
symptoms are;
it was starting fine but while doing other jobs it hadn't been started for a few months,
fresh charged battery, power at the hot solenoid terminal and power when key is at start at the wee solenoid wire, good earth but no cranking not even a click from the solenoid, tried bridging the solenoid terminals and the starter spins but doesn't engage the flywheel to turn the engine. So ordered another starter (used) and exactly the same issues.
Any ideas ????
Old 10th January 2016, 03:26 PM

haha sorted, IT'S STARTING, some idiot (me) had made a mistake when I wired in the switches which meant I was dropping voltage on start, so a wee bit of rewiring and its starting on the key
so with her starting again , drained and refilled with anti freeze in the cooling system, ran it so all could come up to temp and surprise surprise my red exhaust wrap isn't red no more ... oh well such is life .
Soooo with all ok I tried moving her under her own power for the first time in the courtyard , just forwards and back and round a bit , what a moment stupidest grin you've ever seen ... lol , I think I need to cut the lock stops down as they really have limited the steering lock so I will pull that apart again and adjust
Old 10th January 2016, 03:39 PM

Brilliant fair play
Old 10th January 2016, 03:45 PM

thanks , its really good when you have good days and things go right
Old 10th January 2016, 04:53 PM

Glad you found the problem and fixed it. And I know what you mean about the stupid grin when you move it for the first time on its own.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/124541083@N02/
Old 14th January 2016, 03:09 PM

day off work today so pulled the steering rack ends apart and chopped my lock stops in half. its a lot better but I could have taken a bit more off.. maybe later.
it's snowing now and the beach is 50 yards away !!!
made up and painted my battery strap, and picked up my vin plate from the trophy shop , masked the details so that they are in little boxes as per iva manual and sprayed the remainder black. so once dry that will go onto the bulkhead. Incidentally I opted to leave off the max permissible weights, as in the notes it says these are optional, so one less thing to be pulled up on.... I hope.
my list is getting shorter
Im trying to come up with a neater idea for the steering column / stalk covers as I'm not 100% happy with what i've done but if the push comes to the shove it will do for now
Old 16th January 2016, 04:18 PM

redid my column/switch covers and I'm a lot happier with them, changed some non std fuel pipes for pipes with the required std on them tidied and secured the headlight / repeater wiring and fitted the wideband sensor / controller (and its still starting and running )
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001 (4).jpg (52.3 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg 004 (5).jpg (94.7 KB, 28 views)
Old 17th January 2016, 04:03 PM

well not much done today, finished the boot lid catch and sealed the bulk head I have about half a page of jobs and then it will be time to iva apply... gulp