Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > SVA/Legal
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 19th February 2010, 10:24 PM

Thumbs up

Hi Ash,

I know you feel a little disappointed right now, it was xmas morning when you woke up today but now it's tea time, the bond movie's finished and you didn't get the pressie you really wanted.....
Have a Beer or two and that Curry with Dogwood and you'll soon cheer up when you realise how much you've achieved, especially since the Haynes roadster was designed to pass the SVA test!
I remember a year ago it looked like the IVA would kill most home built kit cars! So ending up with such a short and fixable fail list really isn't that bad (I'd be right chuffed if it was me ) all things considered, and a testiment to your skill and resourcefulness.
This has certainly given me more confidence in my project knowing that an IVA pass is achievable with this design.
What's also important is the value to the rest of us of your IVA experience has had. The first few people through the IVA are pioneers for the rest of us.

Many Thanks and Well Done!
Old 19th February 2010, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshG View Post
lets just say i now understand why the iva is more expensive than sva as it takes double the time to go over the car.
Funny you should say that Ash, I was saying to the wife that if it is now an all day test, that'll explain the extra costs involved with the IVA test.

Hold you head up high, you done well

Lets hope you get it sorted & on the road fro Detling

See you at Stoneleigh mate .... Dagging to see your Roadster in the flesh

www.roadster-builders.co.uk
Old 19th February 2010, 11:38 PM

As an avid follower of your build, it must be said that your experience will help some of the hundred other builders "adjust" their cars to make the IVA easier.

I'd love to hear what tweaks get done to help pass those few little niggles, plus its good to hear AdrianH's experience on the matter. All in all I think its an enormous achievement just to sit the IVA. I'd just like to echo the support and another WELL DONE, I'm positive you'll have it pass in no time.
Old 20th February 2010, 12:04 AM
Super Moderator

I think, as every fail comes in... we should have a rectification thread/list.

That way peeps can see the fails and the fixes..

Perhaps Ash will start this off

TT

Build Thread

Man Cave Mantiques

Cecil Street Auto Repairs Garage Carlisle

Build Cost £4181.65 - Last - Wheel Cylinders
Old 20th February 2010, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinturbo View Post
I think, as every fail comes in... we should have a rectification thread/list.

That way peeps can see the fails and the fixes..

Perhaps Ash will start this off

TT
I think thats a good idea TT
Old 20th February 2010, 12:49 AM
Super Moderator

i could write a book on it after today. i am going to do a full bore run down of the whole test in the mag. there is so much to cover that its going to take me a while to write it all up. my test was conducted to the letter and it is how all your tests will be conducted and there are a lot of things that you cant do now which used to slide through sva.

what i can say is the new test isnt harder in the way i perceived it to be the rules are quite fair when explained and put into context. one key thing i took away was about the trimming of projections. major car manufactures have to meet these regulations why should we be treated any differently? when covering a sharp edge you need to think how would ford/gm/nissan etc do that. if what you have done would look like a bodge on a production car you purchased new from a dealership then the likely hood of it being acceptable is low.

e.g my seatbelt brackets were covered with a bit of rubber glued and cable tied on. you wouldn't ever see that in a production car so its not going to pass. simple solution is production cars have proper covers over the seatbelt brackets find one in the breakers that fits your brackets correctly and use it.

i had a really good day regardless of pass or fail. what was better than anything was that if i do all the things on the fail sheet i know that my car will be spot on and unquestionable in its safety. all the guys that conduct these tests have my full respect. its a hard job, they want you to pass and will help you as much as they possibly can but if its not up to standard they will fail it, its not personal its about safety at the end of the day.
Old 20th February 2010, 09:47 AM

Hello Ash, I am really sorry to hear about your fail but I suppose you can at least see the finishing line is very near now. If that`s all he could find in a full day of looking then it`s quite a credit to you I think!
I am sure I am not alone in wondering about a few things though, such as how do you get your steering u/j further away from the bulkhead, mine is quite near but it is set by the lenghth of the shaft from the column?, can I also ask did you have anyway of "locking" the flexy brake pipes to the brackets? mine are put thru the bracket, then a normal nut secures them then the metal pipe goes on the end, is this not acceptable?
Dennis.
Old 20th February 2010, 09:51 AM

Considering the amount of parts on the car that it takes to put it together and the amount of work that has gone into it, you have done a fine job and the fail list is a minor set back but it would have been a nice one if it had passed first time.

WELL DONE ASH G
Old 20th February 2010, 10:05 AM

I think that's a very good effort and guess you'll be retesting and on the road in no time.

J
Old 20th February 2010, 10:29 AM

Sorry to hear you failed Ash,at least it seems like you had a decent tester who explained things to you and also gave you ideas on how to rectify the problems which to me seems pretty decent of him.I'm sure it wont take you much time/effort or cost to get it all sorted ready for a retest.