Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Running gear
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 23rd September 2009, 07:51 PM
Super Moderator

Default Disappointed :(

Went to work on the car tonight. Simple job planned. Put the last brake calliper on the off side front of the car.

Jacked front end up to take off the front wheel and noticed oil dripping off the front lower wishbone.

On closer inspection the brand new gaz shock had pissed all its oil out the top.

I stripped down the front end and took the whole unit off the car. Then I took the spring off the damper. When I lift the damper up and down the resistance hardly changes no matter what position I set it on.

I’m hoping it’s just a manufacturing fault and the other 3 don’t do it. I only purchased them at Stoneleigh this year. They have been fitted to the car for about 2 months and never even been driven on as the car isn’t even finished.

Going to call dampertech in the morning and see what they say.

Has anyone else ever had this problem? Gaz or not?

I have lost motivation tonight, given up and come indoors
Old 23rd September 2009, 08:13 PM

don,t despair Ash, at least it didn,t fail whilst you were giving it some stick on the road.... i mean track

its prob just a faulty seal in the top of the strut, had a similar prob once on a VERY expensive rear shock on my race bike, a quick call to Dampertech will sort it out i,m sure, they,ll prob just send you a replacement asap, as its not a diy fix.

the prob on my race bike was a 50pence rubber seal but was soon repaired.

hope you get it sorted .

andy
Old 23rd September 2009, 08:37 PM

Oh no Ash! I am worried now as I only got mine yesterday. I remember you getting them at the show. I wonder if maybe its a problem of lack of use? Should we jump up and down on our cars once a week like a child on a bed? Sure Dampertech will sort it. They guy was really nice who I spoke to last week.
Old 23rd September 2009, 11:02 PM
Super Moderator

lack of use is a not any kind of excuse. if you leave the tintop on the drive for a month the shocks dont lose all thier oil. i personally would expect shocks designed for this kind of sports car to be of a much higher quality than standard tintop items especially for the money they cost.

im sure its just a manufacturing fault and the damper will get replaced but it now means its a pain in the ass to move the car in and out of the workshop until i get a replacement one.
Old 23rd September 2009, 11:24 PM

Just get a small length of box and stick a hole through each end as temp shocker, at least it'll let you move it about. Cheers Rich

http://www.kilmartin.it/cgi-bin/gallery
Old 24th September 2009, 12:31 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardk View Post
Just get a small length of box and stick a hole through each end as temp shocker, at least it'll let you move it about. Cheers Rich

yeah i know.............. but is not the same as a nice shock

the other problem is that i dont have any box section left as my chassis has been well and truely finished for ages and i gave a load away when i moved house to save the extra donkey work moving it.
Old 24th September 2009, 06:01 PM

Hope you get sorted Ash, this will make you all sit up and take notice.
52 reg Audi RS6 replace shockers and re-gas and adjust settings £3,000 + and may not work properly said the nice receptionist,guess what I did.
Replaced them with a set of Billstiens.

Robbing ba*tards !
Old 24th September 2009, 06:21 PM
Super Moderator

spoke to dave at dampertech this morning. explained the situation and he said its pretty rare. he asked me to pop it in the post but as the address was only about 30mins away he agreed that i could pop down for a visit. went down to the gaz factory after work this afternoon and mark down there stripped it down found the problem in 2 mins. it was then fixed in 5 mins and i was back on my way home.

i really dont think you can get much better customer service than that. credit where credit is due. top bunch of chaps.
Old 24th September 2009, 07:23 PM

thats great service, nice one

what was the problem with the shocker?

andy
Old 24th September 2009, 09:05 PM
Super Moderator

all i can gather is that one of the seals hadnt seated properly when it was made and as soon as it had a bit of weight on it the problem showed its face.

i didnt really push him to find out what exactly was wrong with it. but what i can say is the it now works again proper.

i was very tempted to take it appart when it broke but i didnt as i think it may have void the warrenty