Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Running gear
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 28th September 2009, 09:14 PM

Default welding lower rear wishbones

Thanks guys - so it seems that everyone (?) who has welded these up has had to apply a little correction of some sort. That is reassuring - how much on average have all of your bones been out? Do we need to change the size of the jig to end up with the right final size? Or is the persuasion the way forward? - I was just concerned about building in errors by bending the tubes. It would be interesting to hear what 3GE do when setting up their wishbones.

Off to make the next bone!

Spalders
Old 28th September 2009, 09:42 PM

hi spalders,
I put spraggs of rods in place when tacked in jig and they still moved, all varied from 1mm to 3mm. I think if you try and alter position in jig to take into account distortion when it is pushed back out the bush tubes may not be inline. My bottle jack wasn't small enough to do small ends of wishbones so I just used my trolley jack.
tony
Old 28th September 2009, 11:27 PM

Snap, I used a small trolley jack on mine.

Normally you can set up a job to allow for the weld to pull but not suitable for the wishbones, as said if you try to compensate at the jig stage, the bush tube will be out of line.

I'd be very worried if my wishbones didn't pull a few mm. This would indicate lack of heat in the weld

3-5mm perfectly normal i'd say

Quote:
Originally Posted by onedayTM View Post
hi spalders,
I put spraggs of rods in place when tacked in jig and they still moved, all varied from 1mm to 3mm. I think if you try and alter position in jig to take into account distortion when it is pushed back out the bush tubes may not be inline. My bottle jack wasn't small enough to do small ends of wishbones so I just used my trolley jack.
tony

www.roadster-builders.co.uk
Old 29th September 2009, 10:39 PM

Thanks for the advise. I found a length of rectangular section that fitted over the bush tubes and gently pulled the bone back to size. It actually took very little movement. They are now spot on.

Now for the front lower bones.

Spalders
Old 6th October 2009, 12:51 PM

I had exactly the same problem so I adjusted the upright design to account for the reduction in available space. Just so happens I have just finished the rear uprights and the fit a treat