Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Bodywork and interior
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 30th October 2009, 05:18 PM

TQ thay look cool. I may phone one of theys companeys and see if thay can advise over matereals.

Flyerncle. Thanks for your compliment. As regards fiberglass. I tutched on it before. I am not making fiberglass seats as I feal to do the matereal justice thay must be real free frow form. Fiberglass cind of looks like flewed. Allthough making a buck for that sort of style is not beyond me I think it will take a lot of time and matereal. Fine if I planed on making hundreds of seats but for just two I think it wuld be cheeper to contakt one of the existing makers with molded allreay there.

I am in now dawt that thay are lighter and debatabley better looking but beyond my finances to bye or make. Aluminum hawever is in a big rack at the back of work ready for me to pluck out a sheet and start cutting up. Maby in the future I will make some GRP seats once I have pases the iva and start to fine tune my roadster. This hawever is a wile off. Quite a wile.
Old 30th October 2009, 06:43 PM

I think you are on to a winner with the ally seat as in the book and look forward to seeing the end product.
The site in the link should give you a few idea's too.

Once again go for it and good luck.
Old 2nd November 2009, 10:37 PM

I not have the cad file for the seats and hope to laser cut them tomorrow. I left out the seatbelt holes as I though I would cut to suit once located in the car.

Pictures coming at the weekend....
Old 8th November 2009, 06:34 PM

They have arrived, I am 5"10'

Last edited by Spikehaus : 21st January 2010 at 07:47 AM.
Old 8th November 2009, 06:40 PM

Look good man. Canot wate to see them all folded up. Are you or have you roles the edges or are you opting for another way to blunt them?
Old 8th November 2009, 07:07 PM

Looking good boys!Just an observation that might save some grief/dissapointment. I spent the afternoon yesterday with Spud and Handy at Saturn sports cars and he has Triton seats in his roadster in which I was taken for an awsome drive around the scenery of Cleveland, you dont get in the car you "put it on " and become a part of it and the seats are the most important bit of it as you "wear them" and if they do not fit well in the car and around all the important bits you will not be comfortable and the whole feel of the car is wrong and you will get rattled about,I am not trying to cause problems and like the idea myself of the alloy seats but think some work must go into fitting the car and the body in them before deciding to go the whole hog and make them for the car and as there is no padding in the Triton seats they are surprisingly comfortable and as I said above you wear them not sit in them.
It may be a good idea to mock them up first.

Hope this makes sense guy's.

Last edited by flyerncle : 8th November 2009 at 07:09 PM.
Old 8th November 2009, 07:19 PM

It's all part of the fun to go down the trial and error route. I know that personally, I will buy a shiny new set of seats for my roadster, however I am not aware of anyone who has made the steel / ali seats???

This is a perfect opportunity for an idiot like me to waste some time tying it out!

The laser cutting did not really cost anything as I added it to a large order I place with them.

I think the seats will be perfect for mock up and sitting in the car while I build the rest around it. Its all about the personal challenge of building what I can.

I do not really want to but any fibre glass seats in as they will get damaged easily in out workshop.

I bet the seats will be great by the time I am finished with them.....??? What this space.................
Old 9th November 2009, 07:25 PM

Idiot,dont think so! Waste of time,definately not !!!!
Just an observation I thought I would share and I know you will understand where I am coming from once you are sat in the beastie.
Trial and error is the name of the Roadster game.

Watching with interest Spikehaus and if you sell any let me know.

Good luck and I know you will sort it .
Old 21st November 2009, 06:46 PM

A quick update for anyone is is planing on using the book design for the steel / ali seat, I marked out the design ready for folding today, but decided to take a check measurement of the seat width before starting work. I soon became apparent that once folded the seat would be too wide to fit into the chassis.

I have reduced the width of the seat by 10mm. Lucky i checked or a lot of disappointment to follow!!!!
Old 21st November 2009, 06:58 PM

Good job you had a double check on the measurements Nick

You would have been well gutted if they were welded up prior to test fitting

Look forward to seeing the end result

www.roadster-builders.co.uk