Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Running gear
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 30th April 2014, 10:44 AM

Same as flyerncle I had to do some mods to the bracket as it fowled the shock body

Arfon
Old 30th April 2014, 01:55 PM

I purchased the 1/2" sepherical bearing ones in the end. So now gotta fit 1/2" bolts and source some spacers. Found some misalignment spacers that I think will do the job and doing it this way I can't see there being a problem with the shock bodies fouling
Old 1st May 2014, 01:55 PM

Depends on who made shock brackets and what shocks you use, the amount of metal left above the hole and placement of the bush in the shocker could lock up on the bracket so make sure you have clearance on the bracket to the shock body or it will lock/wear shock body.

If at first you dont succeed,avoid skydiving...

No parachute require to freefall,only if you want to do it twice.
Old 7th May 2014, 08:13 PM

hi i see above that most are using 14" shocks and not the 13" ones in the book is there any mods that need doing to get them to fit to make the ride height right many thanks rick
Old 9th May 2014, 02:30 PM

No, they fit right in. The spring seats are adjustable anyway, you set the ride height with those.
Old 20th May 2014, 01:55 PM

Well, I went and splashed out on a set of the second type Joelove linked to, and I can say the bloke on the other end was very helpful in adding a second pair to the listing without postage, and they look the Bees Knees!

Now I've been looking on Rally Design for springs (starting at the recommended 350 and 250 rates) and I find myself needing extra info:
--- What free-length springs should I be buying?---

http://www.flickr.com/photos/oscarss/sets/
Old 23rd July 2014, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
Well, I went and splashed out on a set of the second type Joelove linked to, and I can say the bloke on the other end was very helpful in adding a second pair to the listing without postage, and they look the Bees Knees!

Now I've been looking on Rally Design for springs (starting at the recommended 350 and 250 rates) and I find myself needing extra info:
--- What free-length springs should I be buying?---
Rears 9" and fronts 8" if you have the 14" shocks
Old 24th July 2014, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArf View Post
Same as flyerncle I had to do some mods to the bracket as it fowled the shock body

Arfon
Is there more detail of either your or flyerncle's mods on the forum anywhere? Just thinking I had best address this soon if i am going to have problems as I'm halfway through painting my chassis but have never fitted any shocks to it...
Old 1st August 2014, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jps View Post
Is there more detail of either your or flyerncle's mods on the forum anywhere? Just thinking I had best address this soon if i am going to have problems as I'm halfway through painting my chassis but have never fitted any shocks to it...
there is no mods required to fit full length shocks other than the radius of the lower mount on the wishbone needing trimming back a small amount but this is the same on useing a GAZ extended shock!

for everyones attension
dampertech only sell a std 13" shock with an extra 1" added to the top mount. if you want extended ones you can go direct to GAZ and buy if you like.
the bloke tried to spin a load of bull about he was the only sorce and full length shocks would not fit and its a "spechal design" you can only buy from him and others will fowl chassis. sadly when asked what fowled where he could not tell me and he has never actualy seen or fitted a shock to a haynes roadster!
i hate it when people lie to me just to protect thair sales and even had sevral posts on this site deleted a while ago on the subject (when a mod was also selling roadster bits including shock packs)
my car is living proof that a 14" shock fits and works fine on the road and track.

by all means feel free to use what ever type of shock you like on your car but its importent to know the facts
Old 3rd August 2014, 10:30 AM
Super Moderator

the longer the better. i have gaz 13inch one's with the 1 inch extension on top as recommended by the book, if i push on hard down a bumpy road and hit a bump at speed i can occasionally hit the bump stops so the extra inch of travel a 14 inch unit gives could be helpful if it clears the brackets and suspension.

My Pictures
http://s707.photobucket.com/user/ashgardiner/profile/