Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Donor cars
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 29th March 2011, 09:43 PM

Default Running gear list

Hi guys I've got a guy that wants to buy my shell to make a stockcar and to get the shell quicker he's going to help strip the donor. The only bit's I'm a bit unclear on is the running gear. I know I need the uprights but the owner's workshop doesn't really seem to mention them. Are these the same thing as the hubs (ie all one unit so to speak) or are they seperate? I had a look at the picture here (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=3938) and it's hard to tell. If they are seperate, do I need the hubs? If so do I need the hubs from the rear as well? Also from what I understand, on the rear I need diff, driveshapfts, rear drum back plates, drums (is this essentially the rear brakes?) but am I missing anything?
Old 29th March 2011, 09:50 PM

Yes, the front uprights have the hubs attached, they can be bought new from rally designs as all one unit( although i dont know if they have any left. they seem to tell everyone its the last pair and then send three!) If your taking your uprights from a doner its always a good idea to strip the hub and replace the wheel bearings.

The rear uprights are built to the book spec, and the rear sierra hub/bearing carriers bolt to these, they are basically a small cast iron bearing holder that the shafts slide though, which are then held tight with hub nuts( nearside is opposite thread so beware!) Im not sure if these are available new still but again its a good idea to change the bearings.

Hope this helps,

Nathan

Last edited by shh120m : 29th March 2011 at 09:53 PM.
Old 29th March 2011, 10:00 PM

Front uprights are the hubs and the hefty lump of metal they're attached to. They're the bit the front struts and track rod ends are attached to. At the back it's everything from the diff outovers, including brake backplates etc. etc.
Don't forget the steering column and lock mechanism. And if you want an age related plate make sure you remove the vin plate and preferably grind out the chassis number from the floor.

http://alansroadster.blogspot.com/