Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Announcements
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 5th January 2012, 04:17 AM

Default Stu's build thread... (mx5 based build)

Hello, I have been longing for a '7' for a really long time.... so when i moved house 7 years ago and the sod (now a very good mate, btw) next door has got a caterham7 graduate racer (road legal), I knew i was in trouble.
So over the last few months we tweaked the engine with a big valve head conversion/kent cam.. i knew i was in more trouble! But i have had my own toy for weekend fun, a mk1 eunos... that i have been supercharging/fitting a megasquirt/intercooler... well you can see why i'm here.....

I sold the sc/ms/ic.... and lots of research later here Iam. So its going to be parted out and i need to find a good chassis package, I'm currently looking at saturn... (after picking up kitcar magazine from whsmith's) Iam an ok welder, but i don't trust my skills to build a chassis. Thats why im looking at a 'factory' built chassis.

So after a sleepless night.. I'm going to ring them today...

Are there any other companys i should look at? I would like to keep it as a 1 donor car, so i can get an age related plate..

many thanks, stuart. I'm sure this thread will be getting longer!
Old 5th January 2012, 10:16 AM

Saturn is the one I have dealt with over the last year, and I can say Andy is a top bloke who will bend over backwards to help anyone let alone buyers of his wares.
Old 5th January 2012, 10:48 AM

Hi Stuart welcome to the obsession

Let us know where you are based-we are always interested to know if there is another builder nearby.
Old 5th January 2012, 11:00 AM

hello and welcome.

good luck with the build, and if you have questions then there's plenty of us doing mx5 builds just now, so ask away!
Old 5th January 2012, 11:28 AM

Hi Stuart, you have a pm.
Old 5th January 2012, 03:40 PM

Hello everyone, I'm in oxford. I should of said that sorry. anyway ive had a pm and i'll shoot another vendor a pm first i think... But my cash is burning a BIG hole in my pocket!

Many thanks for the replys.

Could i just ask is it only saturn that produces wishbones to use the mx5 uprights? I only ask as ive got some very nice 16's with t1rs (xmas pressey from the kids to me!) and i had already upgraded my mx5 brakes so they are ready to go.... (or stop should i say)

stuart.
Old 6th January 2012, 05:28 PM

Welcome to the mad house lots of mx5 builders on here I think most are building the saturn chassis my advise would be to take a long drive to go see spud's car and maybe have a ride and a chat he is very knowledgeable and as many people will say helpful you will leave with an empty wallet but the trip will be worth it
Old 7th January 2012, 07:29 AM

Hello, I have been emailing saturn and talon.. I'm just waiting on reply emails, until I make a choice of company/design etc.. i have asked saturn if thet can supply the engine mounts also they said these can be differant on all builds? i was wondering how this was as you have got limited space in the chassis so how could you move it around that much??
also my biggest problem atm, is finding out the prop shaft will need modifing, do most people do this yourself or do you get a company to mod it?? for the later has anyone got any links/phone numbers??
just one other thing rads? what is everyone using? polo? micra??

I think thats it.for now, thanks stuart.
Old 7th January 2012, 08:25 AM

While you have some spare time waiting for email replies try the search function in the right hand corner there is a lot of info on rads,props etc and other things.
Old 7th January 2012, 02:08 PM

Mk2 Polo rads are probably the most popular choice, and new patern ones cost next to nothing. I tried a micra one (because I wanted a Jap rad to go with my jap engine...), and it was too tall to fit in the nose cone

I believe most people get a professional to shorten the propshaft. The welding needs to be perfect, and it really needs rebalancing too. That's one thing you really don't want to break!
I can't think of any names at the moment, but there's a handful of propshaft manufacturers that will shorten it for around £100, or make you a brand spanking new one for around double that.